The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

ewww....peaches!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Everybody loves pics!| Next thread: ewwww buggies!! »
Back to Thread index
by MaryReboakly on July 21, 2005 02:56 AM
I was psyched we had a peach tree. The fruit, unfortunately, got invaded by some burrowing bug as soon as it showed up. I've got some nice sized peaches on the tree now - but wouldn't think about eating it because of all these creatures that have either nested or fed (I don't know which). Here are some pics of the peaches, though I don't know that I did a good job showing the gooey sap that formed what looks like a gall on the outside of the peach around the hole made by the burrower.

In the top cluster of 3, the one on the left (on the bottom of the peach) makes the damage done most visible of all in the picture. Unable to get a closeup, but this has been going on since the fruit first appeared - first it looked like a blob of clear stuff bubbled over the hole. I hope that makes sense. Looking for suggestions for next year so we might be able to eat some!

-

Here are some closer pics of some...none really show the damage as described above, but do show black spots...not sure what that's about either.
 -  -

Thanks for any insight!

-
 -
by jmacd on July 21, 2005 05:13 AM
[wayey] Hi Mary,
Have you cut into them to see if all is damaged? Sometimes you can eat what's left, and it's good. We had a peach tree in Calif and it sometimes had that clear stuff, but the fruit was still ok. [thumb]

I would guess you could ask your local garden center about what spray you need to use on the tree. I think my hubby used to spray in winter and early spring but can't recall what it was. [dunno] Sorry I'm not more helpful. [Embarrassed]

jmacd

-
by weezie13 on August 10, 2005 08:32 PM
I was just going over the photo's too,
I would have said [gabby] the same thing..
Have you cut into the fruit Mary???
Sometimes damage that looks like that is
just a surface damage to the skin and very
outter layers...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Everybody loves pics!| Next thread: ewwww buggies!! »
Back to Thread index