The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

new member with loads of Missouri questions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by itsbeen15years on July 25, 2006 05:11 AM
[dunno] It has been 15 years since I had space for a garden. I have lots of clay in my soil but we have raised it slightly and added mushroom and cow manure. [thinker] I spent several days with a pickax and sore muscles to do this so I am not going to give up easily. My cucumbers have died, my broccli and califlower went to seed before fruiting and my squash only produces one fruit at a time. Does anyone have info. on what to expect in Missouri, or should I call it missery. [wavey]
by johnCT on July 25, 2006 05:28 AM
Welcome. It sounds like you got a late start? Is that true?

John - Zone 6
by itsbeen15years on July 25, 2006 09:07 AM
[dunno] If you ask my husband I got started to early. I actually started my potatoes and beans very early and I was afraid of frost. Then I started my other plants in late march early april. Is that late for here? I have heard others say there broc. and cali. went to seed.
My tomatoes are doing well though.
I have started planning for next year, Any ideas??
[clappy] [flower] thanks for any help
by LandOfOz on July 25, 2006 09:09 AM
I don't know much about broccoli or cauliflower but I am thinking that they are cooler weather crops. It could be that all this heat (especially in the midwest) has made these plants bolt. I live in KS and I got most of my plants in the ground April 10th, which is fairly early for here. But with that warm spring, who can blame me?

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by itsbeen15years on July 25, 2006 09:13 AM
It has been so long since I could garden I was starting to grow seeds inside in December. My daughter (2) helped me "weed" [Eek!] one day and then I had to go to the garden centers. So when they had the plants I planted. How did your garden go this year?
by weezie13 on July 25, 2006 09:21 AM
quote:
or should I call it missery.
Never call it misery, call it a bump in the road,
with a learning curve...

Don't give up hope.. [thumb]

Take each one of your questions,
individually as they are, and put them
in the section they need..

ie: List each on seperate, #1. cucumbers #2. broccoli
#3. califlower and #4. squash..
in the vegetable section...

Tell us what you did for each one,
and we can address each one seperately and accordingly...
*wow, I sounded studious there for a second*

Tell us the gardening methods, watering, type of soil, fertilizers, etc..
And we'll see if we can get to the bottom of each one you have....

Gardening is learning every day, every year,
and we all learn something new every day, even seasoned gardene'rs still learn..
And you can't possible know everything,
so learn from the mistakes of others and you'll be having an awesome garden in no time...

*(and dont' forget there's so much to do here,
thru every season, and holiday and up and down.
Ther'es really a super friendly family cyber community here..
Jump right on in and have loads of fun!)

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by comfrey on July 25, 2006 04:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
quote:
or should I call it missery.
Never call it misery, call it a bump in the road,
with a learning curve...

I lived in Missouri for many years...and its a joke when people from Missouri use that word "Misery" in place of Missouri [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Sounds like that the problem was that we/you had an early spring and it got hot before it should have, the cold crops were unable to do anything but bolt. I know about clay soil, and it does take a lot of hard work to make a garden and build up the soil. All your hard work will pay off in the long run, maybe not this year, but in years to come, each year it will get better and better, once you have good soil to grow in.

-
 -
by tkhooper on July 27, 2006 02:33 AM
I'm fighting the clay thing too so I know what you mean. Gypsum is usually suggested to help soften up the soil so that you don't need to use that pick axe quite as often.

I've found that underneath where the compost pile is the clay is nice and soft. So I may move it around a bunch if I'm still here next year.

That might help you with areas that you plan to get to within a year or two. Just put the compost pile there this year lol.

I've also heard that horseradish root is good for beaking up caly soil but then you have to find a way to get rid of the horseradish lol.

I've read that squash like at least 50 percent compost in their soil. And that they are heavy feeders.

My advice is to do a soil test. Amend the soil as necessary for the plants you want to have. Start your seeds indoors at the appropriate time and plan on Mother Nature always doing the unexpected lol.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: