The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New member with one ?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by ksgardnr on May 02, 2006 04:16 AM
Hello! [flower] This is an awesome site! Looking forward to learning new ideas from everyone. Had one question, I planted Big Boy tomatoes and Sweet Banana Peppers yesterday in 3 gal. pots due to limited garden space and a Black Lab who chews up everything! [nutz] Will I need to upgrade to bigger pots(like pickle buckets) when the plants get bigger? [thinker] Anyways, hello to everyone!!! [wavey]

-
 -

DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU!=O)
by 'Sparagus on May 02, 2006 08:15 AM
Hi! [wavey]

Well, I dont exactly know the answer....but Im sure someone here will! 3 gal is pretty big, I think Ive heard 5 gal is just fine. So maybe you will be ok?! One plant per pot? And water frequently....

Welcome!

Karen [flower]
by hjolicoeur on May 02, 2006 08:23 AM
Last year I did tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets and they did great!

~Heidi
by ksgardnr on May 02, 2006 08:32 AM
Hello [wavey] I went ahead and got a few buckets(5gal) from work today just to be safe. [grin] When I planted the tomato, I did like it said, to plant it 80 % deep almost to the top leaves,and I was almost at the bottom of the pot so I think maybe I should go bigger! I think my pepper plant might be ok. I only put one plant in each pot so I did good there! [thumb] And I water every morn before I go to work. Thanks for the reply!!!

-
 -

DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU!=O)
by hjolicoeur on May 02, 2006 01:39 PM
Be careful not to over water them. If you water them too much they get all funny shaped.

~Heidi
by comfrey on May 02, 2006 03:36 PM
The tomato plant really does need the the larger 5 gallon sized bucket...The pepper plant should do fine in the 3 gallon size.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: