The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

banana tree question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Banana tree question| Next thread: Banana Trees »
Back to Thread index
by jfredt on July 20, 2006 02:41 AM
My dwarf banana tree has several small green stems growing out around the base of the tree. Should i just leave them alone or should i cut them and plant them for more trees? If I should cut them does anyone know how is best o do this? The tree is 2 years old and about 4' tall which is nearing the max for this tree. It is not fruited as of yet. Thanks for all advice.
by PAR_Gardener on July 20, 2006 08:23 AM
You can do either: leave it, or cut it and transplant it. Either way, you're going to get more banana trees. The question is "Will they be bunched together or spread out. Remember that if you cut and plant elsewhere, you will get banana sprouts from those trees eventually.

I've had mine for years. Well the original tree died years ago. I've got surviving sprouts, and I've divided several times. Mine has never fruited. I just don't think the conditions are right in Illinois for it to set fruit. I'm a little bummed by that, but you may have better luck in TX.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by Longy on July 20, 2006 10:00 PM
With bananas, if you're in an area which is warm enough for them to have fruit, you'll get your best crop by having 3 plants per clump. One adult, which will bear the current years fruit, one half grown for next year and one sucker. All others should be removed or you'll get small dry fruit or no fruit at all. So, if you want fruit from the tree, i'd suggest cut off all the suckers except one. Choose a strong sucker with pointed leaves, the rounded or fat leaved ones won't bear fruit. If you want to transplant the offcut suckers, then ensure you get some roots with it. A cut can be made with a sharp clean spade vertically and the sucker is then planted in the new area.

-
The secret is the soil.
by jfredt on July 21, 2006 05:50 AM
Thank y'all for the responses. There are about six or seven small suckers coming up. They are still small (2 inches above soil). It sounds like i should wait for cooler weather leave one and transplant the rest. When transplanting the rest should each have its own pott or can you put more than one together?
by Longy on July 22, 2006 12:11 AM
When transplanting the rest should each have its own pott or can you put more than one together?
+++++++++++++++++
They're pretty forgiving. If you just want them for a potted plant and not for fruit, you can put as many as you like wherever you like. However, if you want fruit, then individuals grown as suggested is the way to go. If you do put a few together, you'll be able to separate them later to plant in the ground for fruit if you want.
Give them lots of water and regular feeds of liquid fertilisers like fish emulsion.

-
The secret is the soil.
by jfredt on July 22, 2006 03:44 AM
Thank you for the response. I looked at the tree last night and there are SIX pups coming up. I will seperate them when it is a tad cooler. Are any of the mg or peters fertilizers good for bananas?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Banana tree question| Next thread: Banana Trees »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: