The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Carnation question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Carmelized Veal Shanks?| Next thread: carnations »
Back to Thread index
by anita1965 on September 12, 2006 02:32 AM
Hi,

I have got quite into gardening over the last couple of years, not very at at it but I keep trying!

This question is more for a friend than for me. Does anyone have a 'simple'answer as to how to 'breed' (I'm sure that's not the right terminology!) carnation flowers? I mean take, say a white one with a red one and get red/white ones?

Would be very grateful if anyone knows how this is done.

Thanks

Anita
by TulsaRose on September 12, 2006 07:09 PM
Hi Anita...welcome to the forum. [wavey] I can't answer your question but the terminology you are looking for is "propagation." [Wink] Do a Google search for "Dianthus Carnation propagation" and see if you can find some information that way.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by anita1965 on September 13, 2006 01:36 AM
Thanks Rosie I'll see what I can find,

Anita
by tkhooper on September 13, 2006 04:19 AM
Usually the way to cross breed is to take the pollen from one type of carnation and apply it to the staimen of a carnation of a different color and then collect the seeds. The plants grown from the seeds will be the new color. Of course not all plants of this type will breed true. And carnations are bienniels so that's a whole lot of work to try and get a new color.

-
 -
by anita1965 on September 14, 2006 03:22 AM
Thankyou so much tkhooper, that's just the info i was looking for

Anita

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Carmelized Veal Shanks?| Next thread: carnations »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: