The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Starting Maple Tree from Seed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by edawg10 on May 07, 2005 10:55 PM
Does anyone know how to start a tree from seed? I came across a beautiful dwarf maple - with red tinged seed pods - and i would like to try to propigate in my garden. Any ideas?
by pcgrav on May 10, 2005 11:57 PM
[dunno] I'm not exactly sure what kind of maple you are talking about but I did read (in a gardening book) that a Japanese Maple seed must be planted "immediately upon collecting" because the seeds do not store well. The book did not give any specifics on what to do for planting; however, I've had a few oaks and pecans sprout in my houseplant pots before when I moved them outdoors for the summer. The squirrels would "store" the nuts or acorns under the soil and by the time I would bring them in there would be seedlings growing... Wish I could be more help!

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.
by Carly on May 11, 2005 08:44 AM
I have a friend from North Carolina who started a wee lilac bush by just cutting a branch and rooting it.

Maybe you could try the same thing with the maple bush.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: