The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

After mowing lawn looks like there are brow spots

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: After first bath| Next thread: Agressive salad fixins »
Back to Thread index
by Chas on August 28, 2005 05:54 AM
I have a really nice looking yard except just after I mow. Just after mowing my lawn looks like there are a number of brown spots in it. After 2 or 3 days they are gone. After mowing my grass height is between 3 and 31/2 inches tall. What is causing this brown look??
by topcat on August 28, 2005 02:43 PM
I'm no expert but is your mower sharp?
by RugbyHukr on August 31, 2005 02:19 AM
Some grasses have white lower sections & some have brown. Your mower is probably cutting below the leaf level into the stem of the grass. Like if you hit dip, the mower hits lower than average. Some turf shows an increase in the thickness of the root level an stem level, which requires you to raise your mowing level higher about midway through the summer.

For example, we have kikuyu & bermuda turf. We mow at 3" until mid July then raise to 3 1/2" or we get a "scalped look in places.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by johnCT on September 01, 2005 02:42 AM
Need more info. Could be disease. Could be grubs. Did this just start happening? Can you post any pics?

John - Zone 6
by The Plant Doc on September 02, 2005 07:26 PM
Sounds like you could have had a slight case of a dollar spot, a fungal disease. Often with a light case it is not apparent until you mow the lawn. The taller grass tends to hid the damaged areas.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: After first bath| Next thread: Agressive salad fixins »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: