The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help my hybrid tomato's are curling down and are light green

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Help my hill!| Next thread: HELP MY IVY PLANT »
Back to Thread index
by Skot on May 10, 2006 12:36 PM
hi i am starting something new this year i am growing from seed. i started in the plastic germinating trays and have moved them to peat cups. most all of the tomato are all doing well except the hybrid's. the leaves curling down and are light green the stems are very thick and healthy. i have a thermostat on a humidifier and box fan that keeps the temp around 70 degrees and i am fertilizer. with chiton and sea kelp (organic fertilizer.) please help i will post picture ASAP.
by Skot on May 10, 2006 01:02 PM
i a fertilizing with chition and sea kelp
I am not fertilizer
by ChristinaC on May 10, 2006 01:23 PM
I don't know exactly what is going on..someone will be around to tell you more but I'm guessing it's because of the fertilizer!! I NEVER fertilize at that stage. There's enough nutrients in the soil that will do the plants fine until they mature more. My plants are about a foot tall now and I still haven't fertilized. I try my best to keep the temps around 65F and am constantly circulating fresh air from the outdoors. I'll feed them with a 10-52-10 when I plant them outside but that will be it unless it's needed.
Like I said, someone will be here before too long and tell you more.

Christina

-
 -
by Skot on May 10, 2006 01:25 PM
img]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h226/scott_bjorkman/tomato1.jpg[/img]
img]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h226/scott_bjorkman/tomato2.jpg[/img]
by Skot on May 10, 2006 01:31 PM
 -
 -
by Skot on May 10, 2006 01:46 PM
also i adjust my ph of my water. it is high here around 8 or above. i re-adjust it down to aboout 5.5 to 6
by Skot on May 10, 2006 01:48 PM
really i have only fertilized in very small doses about 1/10 the recomended dose. and i am using seed starting mix
by Danno on May 10, 2006 02:00 PM
you were detailed in your first post. . but failed to mention that you have them in plenty of sunlight. Plenty being, i have same situation. . started from seed. granted mine are only going on a month old now, but they are doing wonderful and sit indoors with full sun all day long! I move them from window to window as to get all sun all day and keep the soil moist, never too wet! Just my personal experience and a lil bit o' tid-bits from christina & others [thumb]
by Skot on May 10, 2006 02:47 PM
i use a 400 watt Metal Halide
by Skot on May 10, 2006 02:49 PM
with a timer about 16 hrs of light. i try to adjust the light to the regium of regular daylight schedule
by ChristinaC on May 10, 2006 02:53 PM
Once plants develop a set or two of true leaves, it's time to plant them into potting soil.
I still think the yellowing is from fertilizing. Google yellowing tomato leaves, you'll find all kinds of things that may be causing it. But basically it's either getting too much or too little of something.

-
 -
by peppereater on May 10, 2006 04:20 PM
What are you using to readjust the water pH?
Are you doing the same thing with the various tomatoes? When you say "hybrids,"
those seem to have potato leaves, do you mean "hybrids" or "heirlooms?"
Those leaves are really big...I'm thinking you're getting an excess of one nutrient, without enough of another nutrient to keep pace. I'll do a google...

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Skot on May 10, 2006 05:07 PM
 -
that is the ph down adjustment liquid
I would love to tell you what it is. I think it is a lime juice extract.
by Skot on May 10, 2006 05:37 PM
I think I am going to adjust the PH to 7.0 to get more of the Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, but more importantly from what I have read by googling "yellowing leaves" I am deficient in calcium or Magnesium. witch increasing the pH to 6.5-7.0 will do
The next question I guess I want to ask is this will cut to much of the of Iron and Manganese intake for new growth , or do new plants need Iron and Manganese for healthy growth in the early stages?
by peppereater on May 10, 2006 05:42 PM
They recommend you use it for watering plants? Seedlings? I'm just curious...never heard of doing that.
Stick around and see if JohnCT, Sorellina or Obywan can link you to some of the sights with pictures of specific tomato plant problems.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Danno on May 10, 2006 06:39 PM
lol man this has gotten way too complex!!!! I grew mine from seeds with a lil sprayed on water from a water bottle here and there, never even seen another light source than just sitting in the window daylight. I do plan on fertilizing lightly once i plan to put them outside. . . but thats about it. . . . .

With no offense meant. . . maybe your makin it a lil too much into it? (sounds too much like a headache)
by ChristinaC on May 10, 2006 08:04 PM
quote:
With no offense meant. . . maybe your makin it a lil too much into it
I agree Danno. It shouldn't have to be this complicated. I hope others don't get confused from this. Keep doin' what you're doin'.

-
 -
by Shawn M on May 10, 2006 11:37 PM
I would reccomend getting them transplanted outdoors. My tomatoes were looking suspect until I planted, and they are looking pretty good now.

Shawn
by johnCT on May 11, 2006 02:39 AM
Skot, you are making this way too complicated. Worrying about the water's pH is just not something you should be concerned with. Those plants definitely look unhealthy. Yellowing leaves in most plants is normally a sign of nutrient deficiencies. That looks like chlorosis, however, which brings me to the first question I had which wasn't brought up. Do you have drainage holes in those cups? Have you been over-watering? Chlorosis usually presents with yellowing between the veins in the leaf and happens in most plants subjected to poor drainage conditions.

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help my hill!| Next thread: HELP MY IVY PLANT »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: