The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help my hill!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by hisgal2 on August 05, 2004 01:14 AM
So here are some pictures of our front hill. Its full of periwinkle and honeysuckle, but I really don't like it. I have no clue what most of the plants are at the top of the hill...friend of foe???? Help!!! Give me ideas!!

Also, what can I do with the grass at the bottom of the hill? The kids in the neighborhood walk across it when they are going to and from the bus stop.

The first 6 pics in "The Gardens"

-
 -

-
by catlover on August 05, 2004 01:42 AM
Wow you have a lot of different plants. [thumb]
I'm sorry I can't help you with your ?'s but had a couple ?'s for you.

What is the yellow bush in pix 9 and does it fill in pretty nicely?
and what is on the trellis in pix 18?
Hmmm wonder if they grow in Calif.?????
[kitty]

-
 -
 -
by hisgal2 on August 05, 2004 02:11 AM
The yellow bush....that is my Forsythia that I can't stand!! [Big Grin] I'm allergic to it. Actually, I have no clue how many of those there are there...I know there are at least 4 big ones and then some smaller ones.

As for the trellis, those are Clematis. We have those white ones, some burgandy clored ones that grow on another trellis next to it and then some others that grow on the trellis that is on the side of our front porch.

-
 -

-
by catlover on August 05, 2004 09:39 PM
Thank you, thank you....I will check them out. I need to get some color going on around here!
That yellow is so striking and oh a burgandy clematis...how purdy! Thanks again, Catlover [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on August 07, 2004 04:11 PM
I copied your first photo. I'm gonna remove the stuff growing on the hill and replace it with some groundcover roses and some more flowers, etc.

As for the grass at the bottom...
quote:
The kids in the neighborhood walk across it when they are going to and from the bus stop.

If you are O.K. with the kids walking on it, I'll put a stone pathway there that you can mow over. If not, I'll put some bear traps there! [Big Grin]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by barleychown on August 07, 2004 06:41 PM
Wow! Love the house! [grin]

What are your 'goals' for this area? Lots of color? Easy maintenance? Only low-growing plants?

The stepping stones sound like a good idea...unless you don't want them walking there! [Big Grin]

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by hisgal2 on August 08, 2004 12:01 AM
Yeah, I really like the idea of stepping stones. I don't really mind the kids walking there, except that I have rope lighting nailed down to the wood that lines the brick walkway to the steps. When they walk across the walkway, they sometimes drag their feet over the lighting and kind of pull it up. Its just a pain in the butt. Maybe I'll separate some of my HUGE hosta and plant them on either side????? Of course, then why would I need stepping stones???? Anyways, what about digging up the grass there at the bottom and putting sand and then the big stepping stones, then instead of filling in everything else with sand, use smaller stones??? See, when we get really heavy rain, it goes down the hill and I don't want sand that fills the gaps to be washed away...talk about money going down the drain!!!!

As for 'goals'...I like color, but I don't want something that is going to look dead in the winter. Pennsylvania winters can be nasty. That is partially why I don't particularly mind the periwinkle and such, but it just looks messy. Easy maintenence is a definate must since we are planning on getting pregnant again and I won't be able to deal with the heat. Low growing things aren't really a must...I don't mind larger things, as long as they are easy to take care of. One thing that I need to think about is what the gardens around the house look like. They are mostly country garden in style. There are no little statues or things like that, but they don't look like they were necessarily planned....if you know what I mean.

Just so you know...the hill gets plenty of sun starting after 11:30. It will get sun until late in the evening when the sun goes behind the house across the street.

Thanks for the help so far...I'm looking forward to more ideas. [Smile] [Smile]

-
 -

-
by frustratedattimes on August 08, 2004 06:59 PM
Hey Cindy,
What program are you using to copy pictures and then put flowers and such in????????? [wayey]

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by afgreyparrot on August 08, 2004 09:04 PM
"PhotoStudio" mostly, depending on what it is I'm doing. I use Adobe "Photo Shop" a lot, and "Photo Suite". "PhotoStudio" is the easiest, especially when cloning, re-sizing and resampling.

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Carly on August 09, 2004 08:26 AM
I upload with the Kodak's program that came with it.

For viewing and adjustments, we use Irfanview (free to download). It works well. We find that Corel Photo Paint and all that jazz loads up the drive too much and I don't really feel like going through all the schmoz about learning the recent versions of Corel.

------------

That house looks darling. I'd like to see more of it - sides, back, etc.

Those plants look wonderful.

Did you think about putting rocks at the bottom to replace the grass? Or you could always put soil in and slope it up into the hill - make it 'all hill'.

But rocks - that's pretty hard for people to traipse all over when waiting for a bus.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by hisgal2 on August 09, 2004 04:21 PM
Carly,
There are more picture of around the house in the webshots album. I can take more if you want me to...just let me know....although the gardens are a mess now because I couldn't go out and weed while I was pregnant because it was soo hot and I'd get sick. The grape vine is mammoth now tho...I should take pictures of it.

I wouldn't put more dirt in to make a hill....its just not a good place for it. The way the area is, I'd lose alot of new dirt when the rains would come. Its not like theres a waterfall or anything, but we get alot of heavy rain in the spring and summer and it can reak havock like you wouldn't believe. I've thought about rocks tho. Stephen finally cut the grass, so this morning after I rake, I am going to take more pictures. I will take them from a different angle also....so that you can see how the hill really looks. Its soo weird how it is....our neighbors don't have a hill at all!! It kind of just slopes down to their sidewalk and that's it......we don't have a sidewalk.

I don't want to put too much $$ into this project. I want it to look nice, but we are already thinking of how things will effect the resale value of the house. We are planning on making a major move by the summer of 2009.

I think I might take a trip to Wal-mart today to see what kind of plants they have on sale. It might be nice to have some larger perenials in that patch of grass in the front. Something that is a medium height???? I'll let you know what I find.

-
 -

-
by hisgal2 on September 19, 2004 12:40 AM
So after much thought, I've decided what I want to do with the hill. I think I'm going to make 2 or 3 terraces out of the hill. The walls will be curvy to carry the country theme. I will be using nice rocks...although I don't know how to descibe the kind I have in mind. You know....country rocks. haha.. [Smile] anyways...that's what I want to do. Now, does anyone have directions so that I know how to do it???? I probably won't do this until the spring since I don't have the moolah to put in for it. Anyways, if anyone has a site that will tell me how to do it or can give me detailed instructions for it, I'd really appreciate it.

-
 -

-
by Jiffymouse on September 19, 2004 01:51 AM
i think that is a great idea. we'll have to do some research, i know i have seen ideas on terracing, in here even!
by hisgal2 on October 18, 2004 07:13 PM
I would like to work on my hill area while its a little cooler outside. I thought about digging out the terraces soon, but I don't want them to look bare and yucky during the winter. Is there anything that I can do to start my plan? Stephen's parents just started building an addition to their house and dug out a massive amount of ground for the wine celler that is in the back of the garage area. There are alot of rocks there and I think I'm allowed to take what I need for the terraces. So, can I pull up the periwinkle and honey suckle now? Would that be a good idea? I want to make sure I get as much of that stuff out of the area as I can. Should I pull it all out now and then wait until the spring to see what comes back up and then pull those out?

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: