The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Miracle Grow?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Miracle Grow?| Next thread: Miracle Grow »
Back to Thread index
by n00bGardener on May 04, 2006 07:26 AM
I bought some today, has anyone actually used it and does it work?
I thought I would buy it b/c I went to a local garden center and they have a large selection of their products but not alot of stock left.. It's obviously selling wich leads me to believe that it either works decent or there are alot of suckers that are buying it to try like me..lol..
What are your opinions on it?
I haven't opened it yet (just incase I need to take it back)and I won't open it until I get your guy's opinions/feedback about it..
by SpringFever on May 04, 2006 08:02 AM
From what I see there are a lot of mixed oppinions on it ... I have always used it with no problem.. I would however like to know what others think.. what is the prefered fertalizer..
I have heard there is a lot of salt in it ? [dunno]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by weezie13 on May 04, 2006 09:24 AM
Used sparingly, or half strength, it's okay
*for me* to use as a foliar feed like when I would transplant *one day before the move and a few days after to feed the plant until the root system is back established, or a wee~boost for flowers/fruiting time....

(I like more organic methods'..)

Also, sometimes I think why alot of some gardeners don't like it, is because some use it too much, which then inturn causes' too much green lush growth too fast, and can stress the plant which then leads to the plant attracking bugs..*aphids', etc.*

And it should always be used on already watered dirt/soil..
If the soil is too dry, it stress's the plant out when the plant is in a hurry to drink....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by SpringFever on May 04, 2006 12:50 PM
Thanks weezie... that was a great help... but what is a more organic method?...

-
 -
by loz on May 04, 2006 12:57 PM
I love Miracle Grow..... [thumb] I use it every year.

I knew it was working for me a few years ago by one very simple reason.............

I'd planted a TON of flowers....and they were fine, but not big and healthy looking....So I Miracle Growed them and Mark starting asking me what I did to them, that they looked really nice.

Now for him to actually notices my flowers looking good speaks volumes.....he's SO not a flower guy, but he let's me do my thing.

So yeh, I love it. Wouldn't be without it!
by PAR_Gardener on May 04, 2006 06:13 PM
Organic is a more natural way of growing things. Using compost and fertilizers that are not synthesized by man (most chemical fertilizers) to improve the soil. Finding out specific soil deficiencies and correcting them with organic matter or natural minerals.

Please forgive me while I get on my soap box for a moment. I hope I don't come across as being judgmental. My intention is to educate, not lecture.

Chemical fertilizers like Miracle Grow are like steroids. Once you start using it, you will become dependent on it.

Miracle Grow is very water soluble (I know they have slow release formulas) so they don't stay in the soil very long, and when they wash away into our water table, they leave salts that can build up in your soil. For the time that they are there, they will decrease the worm population and beneficial microorganisms in your soil.

Healthy soil is full of life. It has it's own ecosystem. It is this ecosystem which makes the nutrients available to the plants in our gardens. The chemicals and salts destroy this ecosystem and replace the natural nutrients in the soil with artificial ones. If you stop using the chemical fertilizers, it's like drug withdrawal. It will be difficult for your plants to thrive because the soil can't support them. So you use more Miracle Grow, which makes your soil more toxic, which means you need more fertilizer to make your plants grow well. (Perhaps that's why they can't keep it on the shelf.)

Seriously, I'm not a conspiracy theorists, but companies usually don't create products out of the goodness of their heart. They want to make money, and if their product makes you dependant on it like cigarettes, it's called market strategy.

Don't get me wrong. You will get good results using it. It is easier than composting and improving your soil. And just like steroids it is quicker, but there is a price: water and soil pollution, sacrificing the health of your soil, and an "addiction" to the stuff.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by nmlAlba-dC15 on May 04, 2006 07:37 PM
Dear PAR-Gardener... TQ 4 your simple yet clear explanation... i also try to avoid chemical fertilizers BUT sometimes... u know how it is ..u c your plant rather unhealthy n u want fast results.. u take da easiest step!!..well...after your explanation i'll try 2 b more..'resolute!!'..r u an organic gardener?? i've read a lot about composting... but never really tried... i usually ask for cow manure from people who rear them.. [wavey]

-
i believe that somewhere in da darkest night...a candle glows,
i believe for every drop of rain that falls...a flower grows....
by melcon6 on May 04, 2006 10:51 PM
Thank you ,Par, from me also! [kissies] That was such a mature , polite way for you to express your different opinion from some others. That is what it is all about here at the garden helper, sharing our own opinions and experiences in a nice way. I certainly understand why people use chemical fertilizers, especially on annuals, makes them look nice and pumps them up! I don't use them but I won't criticize those that do. [thumb]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Wrennie on May 05, 2006 12:22 AM
I [Love] Par! Great post! [kissies]
I dont use miracle gro. It seems to kill the soil. Then you need more to help the plants, which makes the soil worse so you need more.... sounds like marketing 101 to me. [Roll Eyes]

nmlAlba-dC15
Cow poo is a wondeful way to grow. Especially if its been composted.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by weezie13 on May 05, 2006 01:00 AM
[Cool] [thumb] [grin] [clappy] [Smile] PAR_Gardener, you are my hero..
Not only for that very nice explanation you gave...
*but that you beat me to it* [thumb] [flower]
Thanks, that's a great answer... [teacher]

I love good soil, and how it feels, and looks, and smells, and the color it.. and the big fat worms...

But I do like some kind of liquid fert's, but only like I said above, for transplanting and shock .. helps the plant, and I can move even some of the trickiest and most resentful of movers with ease...

But for the most part, it's definitely not used...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by n00bGardener on May 05, 2006 07:56 PM
Par, what a great post, thanks for dropping that knowledge for us..hehe.. This is my first year of gardening so Im a total newbie and I learned alot from that..

Well I opened it and used some today on the flowers I planted to give them a good start and I also used it on my veggies as we are supposed to be getting some more great weather over the weekend.

After reading Pars post I decided just to use it the one time and that is all.. I dont want to ruin the soil as it seems the bad outweighs the good on the Miracle Grow issue..

I mean, I don't think it's a bad thing but I just feel I would rather go without having to use it all the time..
by Wrennie on May 05, 2006 11:45 PM
[clappy] good, wise, educated choice [teacher]

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by melcon6 on May 05, 2006 11:51 PM
I'm brewing some good ole-fashioned worm poop tea right now for my plants! [clappy] My babies are gonna love it! [flower] [thumb]

-
 -

by weezie13 on May 06, 2006 12:48 AM
Yes, ther'es also a great idea for plants..
Mel's doing her worm poop tea, but one can also make a compost tea... and use it as a foliar spray..
It's good for the plant, and I know I've read many attributes on *at least* the compost tea..
*not sure about the worm poop* but the compost tea has many disease warding off capabilities..
all in natural form besides feeding the plant...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by SpringFever on May 06, 2006 01:08 AM
Thanks weezie that cleared it up for me I just started my compost a few days ago.. I hope i get better results ..

-
 -
by Firstyeargardener2006 on May 07, 2006 12:49 PM
Melcon6 and Weezie13,

Please excuse me, but what on earth is worm poop tea? Do one of you mind explaining that to me? I have never heard of this before.

Only worms alone and tea alone.

Thank you in advance,
Nicky

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.
by melcon6 on May 07, 2006 01:33 PM
First, if you read this thread about raising worms for compost and you see the big 5 gallon pail of vermicompost I just add a couple of scoops of the compost to another 5 gallon pail of water, let it steep for awhile, and use that for watering plants ! [thumb]

-
 -

by Firstyeargardener2006 on May 07, 2006 01:44 PM
Melcon6,
Thank you for explaining that to me. I have read that post before (I found it to be very helpful when starting one and cool), but I did not know you can steep it. I figured everyone used that fish stuff.

Sorry I have a lot of questions.
Thank you again,
Nicky

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.
by loz on May 07, 2006 01:50 PM
I use Miracle Grow and I still have a lot of worms and bugs in my soil.... [dunno] My niece was getting worms the other day actually and carrying them around the yard! [Big Grin]

I guess if someone was worried about hurting their soil by using it they could just use it in containers and pots....

I don't really use any other chemicals, but I wouldn't give up my miracle grow. I put down extra mulch each year, so isn't it good that the mulch starts to break down? That helps the soil out right?
by melcon6 on May 07, 2006 01:54 PM
Of course, Loz, anything from the earth put back into the earth is a good thing! [thumb] And if your soil looks and feels good and the earthworms are happy, then I'd say you're doing everything right!!!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Miracle Grow?| Next thread: Miracle Grow »
Back to Thread index