The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Planting for privacy recommendations?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Teapotprincess on January 14, 2006 03:11 PM
We have a privacy fence around the backyard, but our new neighbors have installed three huge dog kennels in their back yard right next to our fence, the tops of which, and the tarp that covers them (and billows in the wind) show over the privacy fence. Seems all we see from our deck, from the kitchen window, and from the dining room window is those dog kennels.

What can I plant this spring that will grow at least 10 to 12 feet tall, quickly, and help hide their backyard "decor"? Am in zone 5, southern Iowa.
by tkhooper on January 14, 2006 09:09 PM
some of the alpine bamboo might do the trick. Make sure you get the clumping variety though.

-
 -
by obywan59 on January 15, 2006 02:32 PM
A couple of evergreen options would be Green Giant arborvitae and Leyland Cypress. There are advantages to each. I believe the arborvitae are less susceptible to ice damage, but the Leylands are less susceptible to deer browsing. I've seen arborvitas that have had all their foliage stripped to the height of about 4 feet.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by tamara on January 18, 2006 01:13 AM
How wide is the place you want privacy for? You could do a tall trellis section (maybe with a bench or something in front) and cover with fast growing vines.

I agree with Terry about the green giant cedars and cypress. Alot of other shrubs and trees are going to take alot of time to reach that height.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by penny in ontario on January 18, 2006 02:28 AM
hello
i have heard that "service berry" & "viburnums" for trees are great for fast growing to provide privacy and "quince, walking stick, and fountain grass". the quince and the walking stick i believe flower so they look really good.
i can only imagine how the kennels woudl look and hopefully this is a solution to the problem...
good luck...
Penny

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: