The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My plans for the house...what do you think?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: my picture album| Next thread: My Plant Eating Grand Dog Wreck »
Back to Thread index
by hisgal2 on March 19, 2005 12:17 AM
As you know, we went to the Philadelphia Flower Show last weekend. There was a vendor there called Walpole Woodworkers. They had the most gorgeous mail box there made from copper....which I totally want!!! Anyways, I picked up their catelog and have been looking through it for ideas for my house. Of course, the things made from wood, I will just make instead of buying it for the obscene price that they want for it. So, I thought I'd share my ideas with you and see what you all thought! [Smile]

Idea #1 Mail Box Post

I love this post, althought I think I'll put a different topper on it. I like the flower box on the back of it.

Idea #2 Over the window trellis
I like how this trellis is on an angle, which copies the angle of our roof.
The trellises would go over all of the windows on the sides of the house....4 in total.

Idea #3 Window Boxes
First One I Like
Second One I Like

That's all for right now. There are pictures of the house in my Webshots Album...do you think everything that I want to do will look ok?? [dunno]

-
 -

-
by Jiffymouse on March 19, 2005 02:21 AM
i agree, the mailbox needs a different topper, but i like it. the window trellis and window boxes are pretty cool too!
by hisgal2 on March 19, 2005 02:50 AM
what would you do for the topper?? That's my problem right now. [dunno]

-
 -

-
by tkhooper on March 19, 2005 06:30 PM
good morning, good morning, good morning

I would leave the top of the post alone since the focal point would be the plants in the planter box behind it. But if you still want something there how about one of these suggestions?

Drill a deep hole down the top of the post add the garden stake with a statue or other ornament on it into the hole and then fill with wood putty to keep it from walking off.

Or they make alot of architectual "ornaments" that you can add to your post. There are loads of sites on the web that would give you an idea of what's out there here is one with a picture of a ball top that may be of interest. It is under the exterior products subcatagory Dec. Blocks & brackets. architectural ornaments The one with the pineapple look is nice and in line with the look you seem to be going for.

Trellis always worries me because it can block some of the light I am getting indoors and I don't like that but that's just me.

I like the second window box better but I like the brackets in the picture of the first window box better. Maybe you could mix and match?

Good luck with your projects.

-
 -
by hisgal2 on April 16, 2005 10:32 PM
Today I got my lumber for the mail post and window boxes. I'm soo excited.

The trellises won't block too much sun because we don't get much through the windows on the "sunny" side of the house because there are a couple 90+ foot tall trees outside of those windows.

I like the simplicity of the 1st box and the brackets for the 2nd one. We have such a simple house and its soo old that I don't think fancy boxes would look right.

-
 -

-
by tkhooper on April 17, 2005 04:43 AM
This is exciting. I look forward to seeing the finished project.

Simple is a wonderful idea. The flowers will add all the dash & splash any window box could possible want. I didn't even consider that, I think your are very right.

What kind of trees?

-
 -
by hisgal2 on April 17, 2005 05:00 PM
3 pine tree and an old Maple.

The Maple is soo big that in the fall when we rake the leaves to the curb for pick-up, the pile is bigger than our car!!! [Big Grin] ...and thats only the ones that fall onto our side of the property line. Most of it falls onto the neighbors lot.

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: my picture album| Next thread: My Plant Eating Grand Dog Wreck »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: