The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomato seedlings pale

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by DaisyM on April 04, 2006 02:34 AM
I don't know where my first post went so here I am posting the same question again. I transplanted my tomato's but they are growing thin and leggy and also have pale leaves. Anyone know what I may be doing wrong? and what I can do to fatten them up and lol, put some colour in their cheeks?
by obywan59 on April 04, 2006 02:52 AM
Daisy, what kind of light are you giving them? Have you used any fertilizer? I'm assuming you have them inside.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by johnCT on April 04, 2006 03:09 AM
Transplanted them into the garden? Or just potted up? Sounds like not enough light.

John - Zone 6
by DaisyM on April 04, 2006 03:17 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, they are indoor starters. I have them in a south window with an overhang, the only window that gets some sun. Would the lighting cause them to have pale leaves? I just checked the bag of soil and from what I can see, all it is, is black earth. so I don't believe it has any added fertilizers.
by DaisyM on April 04, 2006 03:20 AM
John, thanks for the reply, in this area, we won't be putting them into the garden til about the end of May. It makes a big difference once they go outside, because they do toughen up and look like a tomato plant should.
by johnCT on April 04, 2006 03:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DaisyM:
Would the lighting cause them to have pale leaves?
Yup.

John - Zone 6
by obywan59 on April 04, 2006 03:59 AM
Sounds like you have it in the best spot for light without using supplemental light. Try watering with a half-strength fish emulsion or fish and seaweed mix if you can find it. That should green them up. Try brushing your hand across the tops of your plants. I brush mine 20 passes back and forth once a day (total of 40). This simulates the effect of the wind they would be experiencing outdoors and toughens up the stems making the plants more stocky.

-
Terry

May the force be with you

Active Garden Forum