The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomato Seeds For Next Spring

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Tomato seedlings pale| Next thread: Tomato spotted wilt virus »
Back to Thread index
by BJGarden on September 09, 2005 11:46 PM
I want to start tomatoes next Spring from seeds from this year's crop. How do I store the seeds over the winter? I've always bought plants but want to try starting from seed.

Thanks!
by weezie13 on September 10, 2005 12:39 AM
Are you wanting seed saving info
from the actual tomato you grew in your garden???

And/or the actual storing of the seed,
like where to put it, temp, container???

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on September 10, 2005 01:22 AM
I'm slightly firmilar with the seed saving from the tomatoes process... but I am not an expert
on it by no means, as I've never done it before..

You take the tomato and squeeze the seeds into
a glass of water... no meat of the tomato,
just seeds..
*the seeds are in a casing like, or gelatin coating*..
the next steps gets rid or breaks down that gelatin coating around the seeds...

You leave the seeds in the water for several weeks, a "MOTHER" will form on the top of the cup,
and that breaks down that coating...

After the amount of time passed, you take the
water/tomato seeds and get some cheese cloth..
and a bowl, put the cheesecloth over the bowl,
then sieve the water and seeds thru the cheesecloth, so water is in bowl underneath,
and seeds are on top..

Then rub the mixture, take some water I think and get the gunk off the seeds, you'll end up with just seeds, not the icky stuff that formed...
*and you have to have that icky stuff form
or it won't break down that coating.*

Then dry the seed on a screen or newspaper,
checking and turning often...until they are totally dry.. *keep out of direct sun*
and watch the wind if you have it outside,
they're lighter now and will blow away..

Then, make a couple of Seed Packets
and store them in a cool, dry place, not too hot,
not too cold...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Sorellina on September 10, 2005 02:22 AM
If I can just chime in here with my 2c cdn...putting the squeezed seeds into a glass of water will slow down the fermentation process because the meat and juice acts as food. I just simply squish tomatoes that I've isolated using fine netting bags over the blossoms before they open (this prevents cross-pollination..something you don't want in next year's tomato plants) along with some meat and juice from the tomatoes (use enough to fill a small plastic yogurt cup at least halfway). Wait at least a week and a fungal mat will form on top (smells bad so you might want to do this outside). Using a hose sprayer attachment, spray some water into the cup carefully so as not to knock out the seed, but enough to break up the fungal mat and pour off the fungal mat. Keep spraying water and pouring off the top layer (good seed will sink to the bottom of the cup) until the water is clear and the seeds are clean. Pour out the clean seed onto a paper plate (paper towels, newspaper etc can stick to the seed, paper plates allow the water to dry but don't stick to the seed) which will take a few days, don't leave in direct sunlight. Store clean, dry seed in small paper envelopes available at office supply stores in a cool, dark, dry place. Properly prepared and stored seed can be viable for 15 years or more, but germination will not be 100%.

Buona fortuna,
Julianna

-
by ChristinaC on September 10, 2005 09:19 AM
Okay..I've never done this so please don't take my advice...but I had a client who simply dug the seeds out of his tomato and dropped them into a keenex. All he did was keep the keenex in his cupboard and planted the kleenex the following year and seperated the plants after the second set of true leaves??????? Honestly......it worked and his tomatoes tasted great.

-
 -
by weezie13 on September 10, 2005 09:25 AM
(I also have them sprout in my
compost bin madly)

I have often joked, every year,
I am going to prepare my dirt in the garden
in the spring.. and then dig a hole and just
put in a couple shovels full of compost..
Instant plants...
Only thing is, it's potluck on which variety
I get until the fruit sets on the plant and I
can count how many tomatoes are on it..
I can tell the difference between cherries and others... but can't between the regular "other's" yet...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by BJGarden on September 11, 2005 12:42 AM
Thanks to all! I'm glad I asked as I didn't realize the preparation of the seeds was so involved!
by glumyeeyore26 on September 11, 2005 12:58 AM
I don't know much about saving tomatoe seeds but I did read somewhere that you are not supposed to rinse them.

I personally saved seeds from last years pumpkins all I did there was pull out all the seeds clear out the empty seeds and the slimy gunky strands then layed them in a single layer on thin cheap wax paper in storage totes put them in my bedroom and let them dry for a good couple weeks. After they dried I put them in jars with tight lids and a paper towel to get any moisture that might get in while I patiently waited from spring.

I had decent luck with this 2 out of three grew but I don't know what I did or didn't do probably poor soil or something I don't have pumpkins yet.

Rush jobs you want it bad you get it bad. The worse you want it the worse you get it. So how bad do you want it?
by Tamara from Minnesota on September 11, 2005 11:03 PM
I think it is too much work. I save seeds from sweet peas, nasturtiums and stuff like that but never had the gumption to do tomatoes!

-
by weezie13 on September 12, 2005 10:21 AM
I think once you get the hang of it,
it wouldn't be too much..
Really!!!!

Once you feel a bit more comfortable
gardening, and seeing how you can save
the same variety you enjoyed, or saved money
not re~buying more seeds or maybe some extra
time on your hands you'll get into it..

I'm contemplating it... sometime, someday..
When the wee~one's are so wee and have more
time on my hands...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on September 12, 2005 07:39 PM
What kind of toms did you want to save seeds from? If those tomatoes that you want to save are hybrids, they will most likely not be true to type from seed anyway. Saving tomato seeds really is not that much work. Its kinda fun you should try it. Here's one of the better write-ups I've seen on the topic...

Here...

John - Zone 6
by BJGarden on September 13, 2005 12:03 AM
I want to mainly save seeds from Roma's
by johnCT on September 13, 2005 01:19 AM
Well, as long as they are open pollinated varieties and not hybrids, they will save just fine.

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on September 13, 2005 07:57 PM
John,
Those are some good photo's of
how to do all that..
Thanks for the info!!! [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on September 13, 2005 09:04 PM
No problem! Pictures always help. Thats why I like that write-up. [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by tkhooper on October 30, 2005 10:54 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to write down the directions for saving tomato seeds. I didn't think I would have the gumption to do it but it seems maybe I do. I bought some organically grown grape tomatoes and I think I would like to have them in the garden next year so I'm going to try it. Wish me luck.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tomato seedlings pale| Next thread: Tomato spotted wilt virus »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: