The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Design Enquiry

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Nick Ramsay on January 13, 2005 02:46 PM
Hi everyone,
I've just joined this forum in the hope that there maybe people out there who can help me with a design project i am carrying out as part of my degree course.
I am designing a contemporary structure for the garden, may it be a gazebo, conservatory etc. The question i would appreciate answering is whether such a construction would be popular with gardeners, what other structures may gardeners wish to see more designs of in grden stores, and any other suggestion to move a garden into a more modern/contemporary future.
by weezie13 on January 15, 2005 05:45 PM
Arbors and for the life of me I can't remember the other name... They are a very long structure, used to have climbing vines on them, and a long walk way underneath....... this is going to bug me allllll day now..
I'll re~post it when I remember..

Bill, I know you know the name of it..
What is it/?????

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on January 15, 2005 05:55 PM
I remembered!!!! YAY!!!!!
Pergola's...........

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Nick Ramsay on January 15, 2005 06:09 PM
Cheers i'll definately keep it in mind
If theres any other suggestions, then keep 'em coming, i have a whole A3 sheet of ideas to cover, which is titled, "Gardeners design ideas", and thats you guys.

Scenario: If i designed a room detached from the house, in the garden, enabling you to escape from the noise and action of life, what would you like in the room to entertain you or make you relax? Its upto you guys, as many words or ideas associated with it.
Cheers
by M. D. Vaden of Oregon on January 16, 2005 06:37 AM
A table for while sitting.

At least two seats of some sort.

A counter on which to lean (even if it has no back). No barstools neccessary.

Maybe people should experiment. Like a gazebo with a single pole in the middle set in concrete, but disguised with cedar wood. Then instead of corner posts, chains could hang with water flowing down the links (the structure being both a structure and a water feature).

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Web Site

Oregon Bigfoot Trap trail

Photo Albums - Oregon Scenery & Tree Care
by catlover on January 16, 2005 07:26 AM
Hmmmm....if totally enclosed and humungous....first a double person swing....and furniture ( easy to wipe down and clean)that you can sit back in with different positions,...(napping purposes, reading etc.)....light of various strength so can be used at night....lots of glass to enjoy the outside....but attach some kind of blinds that are easy(mechanical would really be nice with a remote) to block out too much sunlight...waterfalls (attached to side of structure), water fountains, windchimes...screen on some windows to allow fresh air....and don't forget the end tables for your drinks....maybe a mini frig...microwave...mini bar....the pulley system for hanging plants.....a small fireplace type deal....small sink...and hook up to electricity, small stereo system????!!! Oh yeah, don't forget a rain gutter type deal to divert water away from the entrance for when it rains.

If open like a gazebo type but big...glass on top with same sort of blinds with remote to block out too much sun...I would have screen that would be on the same type of mechanical opening (mosquito's)but able to leave them open during the day(maybe something with some type of a light weight magnet so it would stay shut(don't have a clue how that would be done and still be able to either roll up or go from side to side)....double swing, waterfall, water fountains, windchimes, bird feeders, place for birds to drink water from.....hummingbird feeders....attachments to have hanging plants (boston fern...lots of ferns) but have it with some kind of pulley system to make it easier to water....bench seating most of the way around the inside.

Easy to clean flooring...tile???...so it can just be squeeged(sp?) off and water from fountains etc. wouldn't ruin the floor.

Actually I have a very, very large patio, trellised and was wanting to do a conversion like the first scenerio. Here in California there are a lot of gazebo type stuctures around and for sale.

Did I forget to mention....a NO KIDS ALLOWED sign on the door....and a MAID!!! [Big Grin]

Not sure if this is what you were looking for [dunno] but I was having some fun dreaming about it...I am ready to move in!!! [Big Grin]
Make sure you keep us updated on your assignment...and maybe a copy of the paper when done!!!!

*Something I would like to see more of are seating structures for around tree trunks. Like the metal, wood one's. I would like to see more of these in parks and homes....get people out and observe nature.

Anything that is made needs to be made to LAST for years....something that doesn't break or need painting every year. If it is something for a vine to climb....make sure the slats are not just nailed but use glavanized screws....I am tired of having to remake the thing after one season when the weight of the plant pulls it apart. And a pet peeve of mine...make it straight....so many times you buy something it is off whack by several inches etc...drives me crazy...it is like a picture on a wall that is ever so slightly crooked. grrrrr!

* I have been looking everywhere for a glass bird feeder....that hang on those two pronged steel posts. My mom had one several years ago but the wind came up real hard and it knocked against the post and broke.

If I could afford it ....I would have structures of all kinds on my property!!!

Any of this help...if not I will come back and hit delete!
Catlover [kitty] [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by Nick Ramsay on January 16, 2005 06:25 PM
Hey guys, that was a great response, a quite an essay from catlover. The ideas were a big big help, and i especially like the inclusion of water flow somehow. I'm throwing together some sketches now, with the ideas you provided.
[thinker] [thinker] [thinker]
I'll keep you posted with the design and you nver know, one day you might be buying one. Anyone else with suggestions for their dream relaxation room, i will love to here from them.
Cheers
by weezie13 on January 16, 2005 06:34 PM
Hey Nick,
Where the heck is Durham???? [critic]

Just wondering???

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Nick Ramsay on January 16, 2005 06:41 PM
lol, quite a distance from New York. I'm from County Durham, North East England. It's next to Newcastle upon Tyne.
by weezie13 on January 16, 2005 06:45 PM
Well, that sure is a loooooonnnnnnnng way from New York!!!
We have a couple of very nice members from over there. Hope they'll come thru and give you some more ideas....

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Nick Ramsay on January 19, 2005 07:51 PM
Hi guys,
Thanks again for the response, after putting all my suggestions from all the group research and brainstorming, i've come up with a concept. Hoever i cannot show this design, especially on the web, as i haven't passed through any copyright laws etc.

Yet if you could imagine a 7ft tall Dodecohedron, with a large foot spa/paddling pool, as a base but can be covered up with galss panelling when not in use, with fancy lights beaming through the bubbling water, as you relax on an evening, as you would in a small conservatory. Question is is this a shape that would look alienated in a garden? Would the neighbours complain at this monstrosity? Or is it an acceptable step forward in contemporary garden design?
by weezie13 on January 19, 2005 08:09 PM
Is this something in the ball park of
what you were talking about?????????

Solar Dome with Spa

Solar Dome with Palor Palms

I was checking these out last week and
thought, how neat.....................

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by catlover on January 19, 2005 08:26 PM
quote:
Dodecohedron
Have to admit...I needed to look that one up. Now if you had said soccer ball shape with flat sides....well alrighty then, I would of understood! [Big Grin]

Okay, if you are up to an honest opinion here we go:
Hmmmm...neighbors.... I don't think would care about size...we have giganto gazebo's and everyone is in awe of them.....now the shape is very unusual.....personally having some trouble visualizing it. The bottom comes in....and I think that is what is throwing me. Contemporary???.... YES! I am more into the flow of the garden and contemp for me just doesn't fit in....not to say I don't like it or find it very interesting....being contemp. I think makes it a unique item and will only fit a certain number of individuals....and I don't think that is the majority...at least in my opinion....but hey what do I know! Hopefully others will swing through with their HONEST opinions.

Concern of mine is the height....are you sure that is tall enough? Would it make it kinda claustrophobic .....maybe not because it being glass.

Another concern is with the base coming in...it takes out space within.

What is the frame going to be made out of?

I like the idea of the lights beaming through....any change of color? Have you seen water shows?...where they have various water dances ....that would make it more interesting if you wanted to go further.

Is my name going to be added to the patent??? [dunno] [Big Grin] J/K
Hope I haven't offended your creation in any way...I really think it will be nice but just not for me.
Catlover

-
 -
 -
by Nick Ramsay on January 19, 2005 09:55 PM
OK, so i never knew that the solar dome was in existence, how i dont know is puzzling me, but i was thinking of the name Garden Dome so thats quite freaky. It does show however that this design is a successful product for the american market, and american ideas are continuously merging over here in England. The size of the Solar Dome is too large for an english garden, so my compact design fits in, but I also agree to catlovers suggestion that the footprint of the shape would reduce the space inside unnecesserally, and have made plans to make vertical panels for the lower hemisphere, rather than angling inwards.
Cheers for your help again guys, my lecturer WILL be pleased tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.
Nick
by catlover on January 19, 2005 10:38 PM
Wait....Nick...have you given any consideration to the HEAT factor????

I have a greenhouse made from some thicker plastic(forgot the name right off but if you need it I can find it)....and that thing during the summer heats up to over 130 degrees...that is with the door open and a window open. On a day that is typically say 80 degrees it will climb to well over 100. I have done something else with it since but it is still warm with almost 2 1/2 sides removed and window open, plus those cloth covers over the top! Think of someway to keep it cool...

I know you said glass and I don't have any experience with that at all.
Catlover

-
 -
 -
by Nick Ramsay on January 19, 2005 11:17 PM
Yeh when i said glass, i meant in my head, glass perspex, which is a common thing for conservatories, but keeping in mind, in England which is where this product will most likely be sold rarely gets a long spell of hot weather, and when we do, its the quickest dash to the nearest litter filled beach, rather than staying in, however i have got plans and rough sketches to hinge all the glass panels to provide maximum air flow. I also wanted to make the view as open as possible for garden lovers to view their masterpiece ofcourse. Theres also a plan for the top panel to be a solar power generator to fuel the night lights and anyother heating element for cold times of the year. I do agree though, the option to have as many opening components will help if this design is produced in hotter climates.
Cheers
Nick
by catlover on January 19, 2005 11:20 PM
[thumb] Glad you were taking the heat into consideration....wouldn't want you to get an F for the day! [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: