The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Raised bed drainage(pvc pipe)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Rain Lily (fairy lily) question| Next thread: raised beds... »
Back to Thread index
by Linda Wilson on March 15, 2006 05:48 AM
I am starting my first raised bed with just afew veggies. i have my planks,ground cover, compost and soil and pebbles. now i do not know how to construct it properly. I believe the ground cover goes first to keep the weeds out, some soil on top of that, pebbles on top of that and the soil and compost on top of that. I have heard about putting pvc pipes with holes drilled in them to help with drainage but where do you put them. In the trenches or rows in between the plants?
by weezie13 on March 15, 2006 06:03 AM
Hi Linda,
And Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum,
we are very glad you found us..

Question??

May I ask, why you need the PVC pipes for drainage?
Is your property water logged?
Or is it, you believe the plants need it?

Just curious, you may not need to do anything with PVC pipes...

Does your area or garden area get alot of rain??

And do you know what kind of soil you have?

P.S. We have several fellow Texans' here,
some of them may be able to direct you a little bit better for your area, and your type of soil..

Also, just so you know I'm going to move your post down into the Vegetable Gardening section for you. I think you'll receive more responses
down into there..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by patches1414 on March 15, 2006 06:16 AM
Hi Linda, [wavey]

When I built my raised bed I just put down the landscaping fabric and then the soil mixed with compost and nothing else. I've never had any problems with it because the landscaping fabric is porous and lets the water drain out. [thumb] If you are putting down a plastic groundcover then I guess you might need the drainage. Why are you putting pebbles down? [dunno] My raised bed is for flowers only, so maybe it's different for vegetables. [dunno]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Linda Wilson on March 15, 2006 06:44 AM
I got the pebbles because I don't know any better.I do not have a water log problem. We are very drought ridden here and are usually on water restrictions so I have to make sure I make the best of water and keeping the moisture in. I think I just plan on using water drip hoses with a timer at night when we are on heavy restrictions. I was told that the the pebbles help keep the moisture in but then this came from a rep at the local large outdoor gardening place. I think I need help.
by patches1414 on March 15, 2006 10:55 AM
Linda,

I always thought pebbles were used to help with drainage. I've never heard of them being used to keep moisture in. [dunno] Maybe someone else can give us some input on this and we'll both learn something new. [thumb]

Here is a picture of the raised bed I made with landscaping timbers.

-

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by weezie13 on March 15, 2006 11:18 AM
Depends on where you put the pebbles..
If you dig your bed out first, dump the load of
pepples down, then re~load your dirt/soil/ back on top..
That helps with drainage..

If you work your soil, plant your plants, then put the pepples on top, they are used as mulch
to keep the moisture in....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on March 15, 2006 11:26 AM
Veryyyyyyyy pretty raised bed...
Here's my raised beds..
 -

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Longy on March 16, 2006 04:22 AM
I'm not a big fan of the pebble idea underneath either unless you have a water retentive soil. In this case a layer of pebbles on top of the existing soil may allow a path for the water to drain away. Suggest you use the pebbles for mulching some cacti and succulents in pots. These are great plants for dry areas and pebbles look great with them.

Similarly, for a weed suppressor, i'd do away with the plastic too and just use sheets of cardboard. Lay it on nice and thick with no gaps and you'll kill the grass same as plastic. Once the grass underneath dies, the caardboard will rot away very quickly and you will allow earthworms and other critters to enter your beds. The plastic will prevent these beneficial animals from entering.

You may like to buy a box of water crystals to mix with your soil. These will help retain moisture.

Large amounts of organic matter will help retain moisture too so use plenty of compost and well rotted manures if available and the most important is to mulch your beds. Use spoiled meadow hay, lucerne or straw for this.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rain Lily (fairy lily) question| Next thread: raised beds... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: