The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

heirloom tomatoes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Heeled in trees...| Next thread: Heliconia »
Back to Thread index
by peppereater on March 09, 2006 01:25 AM
I'm planting tomato seed today, and just realized I bought multiples of some. I'm growing all heirlooms this year, and I'll have lots of work planting them all.
One question I have is this...I have Brandywine, Red Brandywine and Pink Brandywine. Among others.
Is there any difference between Red and regular Brandywine? And is the difference between red and pink enough to make it worth growing both? I'll have at least a dozen varieties besides these...

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by peppereater on March 09, 2006 03:25 AM
Here's what all I planted today...Brandywine, Pink Brandywine, Beefsteak, Ruby's Red German, German Red Strawberry, Bloody Butcher, Mortgage Lifter, Jubilee, Large Red Cherry, Yellow Pear, and Delicious.

-
Dave
by johnCT on March 09, 2006 03:26 AM
The REAL Red Brandywine is a regular-leaf plant with the best production of all the brandywines. The real Brandywine IS pink, so in reality, calling it pink brandywine is redundant. Brandywine has potato leaf foliage and does not provide very good production. There are many questionable seed sources touting all different forms and colors of brandywine plants. Your best bet is to use the more reputable tomato seed sources like TGS, Sandhill, Marianne's, SSE, Victory, etc. to get your seed from.

The TRUE varieties of Brandywine are:

Brandywine-Pink, PL
Red Brandywine-Red, RL
Yellow Brandywine-Yellow, PL
Brandywine OTV-Red, PL

Where did you get your seed from Dave? If I were you I would plant one or so of each. [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on March 09, 2006 03:38 AM
The Red Brandywine and Pink were both Burpees' Heirloom seed, the Brandywine was, unfortunately, Wal Mart, packed by Ferry Morse. I've grown Brandywine for several years now...I've had problems with weather and other factors for years, but I always get some fruit...last year was a really lousy year, lots of pests and lots of wet, warm humid weather in early summer...the Brandywines were vigorous enough to outgrow early blight, but they were favored by pests, especially stink bugs. I just love Brandywines, and will probably always grow them.
I think I'd better try those reds, John! I didn't know they had the standard leaf type.

-
Dave
by peppereater on March 09, 2006 03:46 AM
Hey John, I've been wondering how many varieties you generally grow, and how many of each? I have all the space I want, but so little time to prepare the soil and that sort of thing. I always plant far more things than I can take care of! I'll never learn. [Roll Eyes] [nutz]

-
Dave
by johnCT on March 09, 2006 03:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by peppereater:

I think I'd better try those reds, John! I didn't know they had the standard leaf type.

Yeah, unfortunately, I've heard of many different little quirks with "seed rack" brandywines. There are strains of RB with potato leaf foliage, but they are not the true RB. You'll just have to grow all three and see what happens. [nutz]

quote:
Here's what all I planted today...Brandywine, Pink Brandywine, Beefsteak, Ruby's Red German, German Red Strawberry, Bloody Butcher, Mortgage Lifter, Jubilee, Large Red Cherry, Yellow Pear, and Delicious.
Great list Dave. Are you sure that isn't Aunt Ruby's German Green? The one I sent you? [dunno]

Here's my tentative grow list for this year...subject to change of course since I'm still a few weeks away from seed starting.

Aunt Ruby's German Green
Black From Tula
Brandywine OTV
Brandywine(Sudduth's)
Burracker's Favorite
Carbon
Cherokee Purple
Debbie
Earl's Faux
Ernesto
Green Grape
Grub's Mystery Green
Kimberly
Lillian's Yellow
Little Lucky
Lucky Cross
Mama Leone
Milka's Red Bulgarian
Mortgage Lifter(Estler's)
Neves Azorean Red
Noire De Crimee
Omar's Lebanese
Opalka
Picardy
Prue
Ramapo F4
Rinaldo
Stump of the World
Sungold F1
Tidwell German
Todd County Amish
Wes

Containers:
Citron Compact
Lime Green Salad
Lucky Leprechaun
New Big Dwarf
Silvery Fir Tree
Taxi
Victorian Dwarf

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on March 09, 2006 04:05 AM
OOPS! Dang, John! Caught me. [Embarrassed] Yes, I meant Aunt Ruby's German Green! I muddled that up with the German Red Strawberry, which you also sent me. I could at least get the names right! And thank you very much indeed for sharing.
Your growing list would make any one of us here jealous. Do you offer tours? You just might have a busload of G.H. friends showing up this summer with paring knives and salt shakers in hand! What do you do with all of those?

-
Dave
by johnCT on March 09, 2006 04:33 AM
Dave, don't be misled, LOL. [lala] I've only grown hybrids up until now. [shocked] This will be my first year growing OP tomatoes. Since last summer I have been swept up in this addiction. So much so that I have taken dozens of trees down on my property to make more room for additional raised beds, collected nearly 100 varieties of OP tomatoes, am in the process of building a seed starting area in my basement and practiced saving tomato seed with store bought fruit! I have also read almost everything there is to read on the subject.

I know, I know... [nutz] [nutz] [nutz]

I have plans for about 50 plants or so. Last year I grew 12-15 plants of early girl, big beef, better boy, sweet 100 and grape. Most of my extra food I brought to a local soup kitchen, which I will do the same this year.

But hey, if you'd like to show up you're more than welcome, LOL.

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on March 09, 2006 05:01 AM
Originally posted by JohnCT
quote:
But hey, if you'd like to show up you're more than welcome, LOL.

[Big Grin]
I'll start getting the tour group together!
So you're sharing seed you bought?
I, too, am obsessed with tomatoes, I'm with ya there. And peppers, too, of course. I planted 72 tomato seeds today, lol. I try to put at least 2 or 3 of each variety out in the garden, because, in part as insurance, our soil is iffy. I've been amending the soil with leaves, etc. for 5 years, it's getting there. I grow habaneros and other peppers every year, BUT! It's not the obsession tomatoes are. I can buy great tasting peppers...not so with tomatoes! [thumb]

-
Dave
by njoynit on March 09, 2006 05:09 AM
I've not grown brandywine from seed,but HAVE grown brandywine from an actual plant& a few stem cuttings.I lived Z7 then in Whitehouse TX.I had elderly neighbors& Mr Tom grew only brandywine& we're from seed originally from his dads plants.I actually don't find the brandywine plants this far,but love their taste.I also would not know the differance about the leaves.....but john is more than welcome to post pictures when he gets them(hint,hint) I grew juliblee once,but it didn;t really thrive.Mr Tom then gave me the story on his brandywines& dug me small plant& I rooted a few of its lower branches.He surrounds his tomato beds with black eyes susans...just picture a 4 ft wide field around a 50x50 tomato patch.He claimed it deteered critters.

I'm trying growing from seed this year.I have 2 lil 4 pack trays.one is the store mater I just got& the other is a cherry tomato...someone stepped on it in store so I scooped it into a plastic baggie and shoved in pocket& sowed it.I grew a great "unknown plant" from some July 4th cookout scraps.I dumped the watermelon seeds& tomato scraps in the road......and a tomato plant grew.It did pretty good,was tasty& had enough shelter from woods that it made it through 2 frosts before a good one got it.

I like early girl& am growing it again this year...this will be one of my keepers as it will still put out when it gets real hot&muggy here.I'm also growing early boy& better boy.I THOUGHT I was gonna buy a cherry tomato type but the veggies had been quiet wiped out by time I got there...so hopeing they get more. Celiberty don't do well when it heats up.It just sits there from Mid June till late aug,but ole Rita sure perked it up& I don't know WHO recomended it to me but was a replacement for brandywine(it don't taste like it,but is about the size of it& sorry,but brandywine just walked all over it production wise)

Pepper...if any do well produceing in the heat...be sure and let me know& good luck with brandywine seeds.i'll be watching......

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by peppereater on March 09, 2006 05:36 AM
njoynit...thanks for the info.
I'll bet there'll be more 'maters in the store!
Good luck.

-
Dave
by johnCT on March 09, 2006 06:06 AM
quote:

So you're sharing seed you bought?

Yup. Bought and traded for. I hope you don't mind. I only need a couple plants of each, so 5-10 seeds for myself will be more than enough until I can save my own seed. I'm happy to do it.

I can't wait to start my own seed soon.

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on March 09, 2006 06:26 AM
I don't mind at all, John, that was very generous of you! I'll be trying my hand at seed saving this year! If you don't have enough varieties yet [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I've got lots of extra left!
Anyone else out there, the offer goes for you, too.

-
Dave
by johnCT on March 09, 2006 09:17 PM
Thanks for the offer Dave. Bloody Butcher is one on my list of wants that I don't have yet.

John - Zone 6
by tkhooper on March 09, 2006 10:21 PM
I have 4 varieties of tomatoes and thought that was obsessive. Now I know that I'm well within the range of normal lol.

I think giving your extra produce to a soup kitchen is just wonderful.

-
 -
by johnCT on March 09, 2006 10:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tkhooper:
Now I know that I'm well within the range of normal lol.
Give it time TK....give it time. lol Before you know it... [nutz]

quote:
Originally posted by tkhooper:
I think giving your extra produce to a soup kitchen is just wonderful.
Thanks. Last year I started bringing my 3 year old son with me. I just can't see throwing good food away or into the compost pile.

John - Zone 6
by Sorellina on March 10, 2006 05:42 AM
John, my partner in tomato-growing obsession,

I also have Bloody Butcher and would be more than happy to share with you since you're being so generous with me.

Dave,

Did you get those Black Plum seeds from me yet? Just wondering, because they went out in the mail last week.

PS: John and I are about the same with our growing plans. I've got 50 varieties, 60 total plants. I like a whole row of Opalka, it's my sauce machine. And I'm also involved in a crossing project, so I'm growing several plants of that.

Cheers,
Julianna

-
by Sorellina on March 10, 2006 05:49 AM
I just found this picture today while I was labelling photos from the garden for a project. I'm still learning how to post pictures so I'll give this a shot. Forgive me if it's huge, that's usually my biggest problem.

-

-
by Bestofour on March 12, 2006 10:19 AM
‘Cherokee Purple’, ‘Green Zebra’ and ‘Yellow Pear’ That's the kind I have. Do you guys like these? And at the risk of being stupid what does "OP tomatoes" mean?

I'll have to see what happens with these. I think it's very hard to dry tomato seeds and I'm not sure if mine are viable.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Sorellina on March 12, 2006 11:40 AM
I'm growing Cherokee Purple for the first time this year on strong recommendations from long-time heirloom growers. I have a special fondness for 'black' tomatoes - they taste rich, almost smoky to me. Green Zebra has gotten the nod 3 years in a row in our garden. We wouldn't be without it for the tang it lends to salads with vinaigrette dressings. Yellow Pear, on the other hand..how can I say this tactfully...it's prolific, I'll say that much for it, but it lacks flavour. There are many other yellow cherry tomatoes that outshine this one by a huge margin.

OP stands for Open-Pollinated. This means that the tomatoes are not a hybrid and will breed true if they are saved from year to year, isolated by distance or mechanical means (such as bags over the blossoms). OP is not synonymous, however, with heirloom. Heirloom refers to plants which have been passed down from generation to generation, oftentimes within a family, but not a requirement. Cherokee Purple is an heirloom, while Green Zebra is a created creature of purposeful crossing, then stabilizing over several growing seasons.

It certainly is hard to dry tomato seeds if the gel around them is present. Squish them into a small container such as a washed-out yogurt container until the volume is at least half full. Let that sit for 5 days or so until it forms a thick fungal mat on top. Gently pour off this mat, being careful not to pour out the seeds with it. Pour in fresh water, rinse carefully, and repeat until you have clear water and clean seeds in the bottom of your container. Pour out your seeds onto a paper plate (don't use plastic). Spread the seeds out as best you can to form a single layer and keep out of direct sunlight to dry thoroughly. The paper will absorb the excess water and your seeds will dry more quickly without sticking to the plate like they would if you used paper towels.

Buona Fortuna,
Julianna

-
by weezie13 on March 12, 2006 12:18 PM
Hey, I grew those "Yellow Pears"
and yes, there were lots'!!!

How long/viable are heirloom seeds???
3 years?????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by peppereater on March 13, 2006 01:08 AM
Julianna, yes, I got the seeds yesterday! Thank you so much, and let me brag on you...
Julianna not only sent me the Black Plum I asked for, as a bonus, she also sent me Green Zebra and Plum Lemon, aka Wonder Lights! Very generous of you, Julianna!

-
Dave
by johnCT on March 13, 2006 07:42 AM
Weezie, under the right conditions, tomato seed will stay viable for as much as ten years.

Dave, where ya gonna find room for those? LOL [Big Grin]

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on March 13, 2006 09:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by johnCT:

Dave, where ya gonna find room for those? LOL [Big Grin]

Uhhhh.... [Big Grin]

-
Dave
by weezie13 on March 13, 2006 09:46 AM
quote:
Weezie, under the right conditions, tomato seed will stay viable for as much as ten years.

Reallllllllllllly!!!!!
I just found the packages Bigboy sent me..
and have a couple of seeds left..
6 seeds left in the "Prudens Purple" and 2 seeds of "Golden Pineapple" both packed for 2002.....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on March 13, 2006 08:26 PM
I bet they do fine. [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on March 13, 2006 08:49 PM
quote:
I bet they do fine. [thumb]
Yeah, until I get ahold of them... [Wink] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Embarrassed]

I really felt so bad when they got fried... [Eek!]
I'm wonderin' if I still have the other 2 packages lurkin' around.. they were one red variety and a white one...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by njoynit on March 14, 2006 02:55 AM
And weezie...The ones I found....in the garage...on a shelf with CB radios,battery operated air compressors,car radios.. was marked 1997 lot 2 and I just sowed them for the Hell of it.They sprouted as did the peas(a sugar pea) and soy bean& that was winter sowed.

I just love that tomato picture.thats a nice sized huge tomato ya got in the mix.whats the red one directly center front of sunflower?And how they do on the vine,do you have to tie them?

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by weezie13 on March 14, 2006 07:28 AM
Okay, just found the "Great White" one's too...
There's like 6 or 8 of those...

I think I used up the red one's, but will keep looking..

Yes, I was hoping Julianna could identify
some of them for us too..
They look quite interesting...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Bestofour on March 19, 2006 08:15 AM
Sorellina , thank you for the info.

Weezie, do you like the Yellow Pear. Taste wise?

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 19, 2006 12:40 PM
Yes, they were pretty tastyyyy!!!

I was just looking at my catalog I just got,
hopin' Julianna can tell me this..

I was thinkin' I had never grew Heirlooms before, [Embarrassed] but I think I have..
Besides those yellow pear ones' that are supposed to be, I think I read that Heinz and Campbells, are considered them kinds too...
Is this true?????????

My mother and father loved those kinds...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on March 20, 2006 10:03 PM
Hey Weezie, the term "Heirloom" is pretty loosely defined. Some confuse "Open Pollinated" with "Heirloom", but as most people understand it, I would say yes, those would be considered heirlooms.

[thumb]

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on March 20, 2006 10:08 PM
Thanx John....
I will have to get some more books/catalogs
to do some more reading up on them...

it's sooooooo yummy reading them, I just wanna
devour the pages with all those yummyyyyyy tomatoes on them,
in such pretty colors...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Bestofour on March 21, 2006 07:28 AM
Where other than ordering can you buy heirloom tomato plants?

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Heeled in trees...| Next thread: Heliconia »
Back to Thread index