The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Basils..

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: basil seedlings| Next thread: Basket »
Back to Thread index
by mearow on June 18, 2005 03:15 AM
I have sweet basil and cinnamon basil planted. Its very ready for me to pull a few leafs a dry them. My question is will putting the leafs in my dehyrdrator dry them out to fast or will it be ok to use it? What ya think?

God bless,

Missy
by LMT on June 18, 2005 03:43 AM
They are better fresh. It's best to dry them slowly. If you want to use a dehydrator, keep an eye on them and don't over do it.

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.
by poetprose on June 19, 2005 07:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mearow:
I have sweet basil and cinnamon basil planted. Its very ready for me to pull a few leafs a dry them. My question is will putting the leafs in my dehyrdrator dry them out to fast or will it be ok to use it? What ya think?
by poetprose on June 19, 2005 07:40 PM
Hello, I use a great deal of Basil for cooking, Pessto's, Marinara, home made sauces.. Brushetta's etc...

If I have to dry out my Basil, It is late in the fall,to winter, and I only* do it because the weather in Ontario is no longer warm enough to keep my potted plants, otherwise fresh basil is always the best...

still I just use my microwave to dry it out, you have to keep an eye on it, I use the micro wave also for my parsley...
by tkhooper on June 19, 2005 08:10 PM
Poetprose, I usually keep a pot of basil plants in my kitchen they usually stay with me all year. Until the produce flowers faster than I can catch them anyway.

-
 -
by poetprose on June 19, 2005 09:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tkhooper:
Poetprose, I usually keep a pot of basil plants in my kitchen they usually stay with me all year. Until the produce flowers faster than I can catch them anyway.
by poetprose on June 19, 2005 09:07 PM
>>.I usually keep a pot of basil plants in my kitchen they usually stay with me all year<<

Hi, You are lucky, I wish mine would , but as soon as the heat has to be turned on in our house they just don't do well,

Do you make all your sauces also?
by tkhooper on June 19, 2005 09:24 PM
Is it the draft thing? Builders often put heat registers right below the windows and the plants hate it. If you can create a clear plastic tent or wall to a height above that of the plant you might be able to keep the basil going. Needless to say my apartment isn't a decorators dream, unless they are having a nightmare lol.

I live alone so cooking is something I do rarely anymore. I used to and still do certain sauces but not very often. Believe it or not I think I still plant herbs just because they have become like friends and I would miss not having the basil there in the winter.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on June 21, 2005 11:48 AM
I have many basil plants..it is one of my favorite herbs. Although you can't beat fresh basil in salads,vinegettes, roasts and some different dishes...I prefer dries basil in my sauces. I just think the dried basil has a stronger flavor. My favorite is the African Blue Basil. I also dry several of my herbs and package them for Christmas presents. My family loves getting the dried herbs from my garden every year.

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by weezie13 on June 21, 2005 11:55 AM
I picked up 3 basils this year,
and haven't started one of them yet..

A purple one, a cinnamin one and a lemon one..
Dang, I'm slow!!! Geesh!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by 4Ruddy on June 22, 2005 01:17 AM
Wees...is the purple one a Red Rueben Basil? I had one last year and really liked it but couldn't find one this year...they are strikingly pretty in the garden.

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by weezie13 on June 22, 2005 01:50 AM
I'll have to find the package!!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Bestofour on June 26, 2005 12:07 PM
4Ruddy, do you just chop up fresh basil and put it in your salads? I've never done that. I've always used it in cooking or after it's dried.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Ceilteach on July 04, 2005 07:58 AM
I usually cut the tops off my basil plant, wrap a piece of tring aroung the stalks and hang it upside down in my kitchen...it looks pretty and you have dried basil in a while
[kitty]

"You come to nature with all her theories, and she knocks them all flat."
Pierre Auguste Renoir
by PAR_Gardener on July 05, 2005 12:57 PM
4Ruddy,

I purchased some Red Rubin seeds this year. Here are a few sites:

Johnny's Selected Seeds: Red Rubin Basil
Cooks Garden: Red Rubin Basil
Park Seeds: Red Rubin Basil

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by comfrey on July 13, 2005 12:41 AM
I LOVE Basil...it is very therapeutic for me...I always grow a bush type basil in a pot next to the door so I can rub against it for the scent, I think if I could only grow one thing that would be it...As far as drying...I would tie it in bundles like Ceilteach suggested...close hangers work well if you don't have a drying rack and a cloths pin will hold the string the bundle is tried with to the cloths hanger. But I also agree fresh is always better!!!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: basil seedlings| Next thread: Basket »
Back to Thread index