The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Basil

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Basic garden up keep?| Next thread: basil »
Back to Thread index
by Paul C. on January 08, 2005 08:57 PM
Recently I obtained fresh Basil at a store in California and noticed that it is much different from the basil I either grow or obtain from the local produce stores in my area (Eastern Pennsylvania - USA). The California Basil has a much stronger almost licorice taste. My question: Does anyone know the difference or where and what to buy if planting my own of the "California" type. Thanks much.
by Cory's Produce on January 08, 2005 10:26 PM
Well there is a type of basil that is licorice. Theres probably 50 different kinds of basil.
by Paul C. on January 08, 2005 10:52 PM
Thanks for the response. This is a real mystery to me because I first noticed the difference when I ordered an appetizer at a restaurant (fresh mozzarrella, tomatoes and basil. The basil was much stronger than I had ever noticed before. Definitely basil but a strong hint of licorice or anise. It made the appetizer incredibly better. I even asked the chef. he said it was just basil. I had the same basil in two other restaurants in the Los Angeles area. The mystery is: What kind of basil and how does one get a plant or seeds. Anyone have any ideas?
by Cory's Produce on January 08, 2005 11:55 PM
Ok Paul. Its called anise basil. Its the "sophisticated name " for it.

Heres some organic anise basil
by Paul C. on January 09, 2005 04:08 AM
Cory, Thank you. I ordered from you site reference. Thanks again.
by 4Ruddy on January 09, 2005 11:45 PM
Paul, isn't it fun discovering the different "flavors" of basil? Basil is a staple around our house and I usually have about 4-5 variaties in my herb garden. My favorite is the African Blue Basil...but if I don't get it from the nursery early in the spring they run out quickly so I didn't have that one last year. My usuals are lemon basil, cinnamon basil, genovese basil and I tried red rueben basil last year and wasn't particularly fond on it. Have fun trying new ones! [Wink]

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by thorns on January 13, 2005 07:28 AM
basil roots fairly quickly from stem cuttings. if i find something i don't have or think i 'need', i've asked my waitress to ask the chef to please send an extra sprig or two to the table, i always offer to pay, moisten a napkin from my water glass, loosely wrap the herb and place in potting mix the next day. i've also purchased packets of calif herbs from the produce section at the grocery and rooted the pieces, most of the time with good sucess

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Basic garden up keep?| Next thread: basil »
Back to Thread index