The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Avocado Tree Help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Kingsfoil on January 23, 2006 12:36 PM
Hi, i'm new to this site, and i come for help. I was given a baby avocado tree from my grandmother, who didnt want it because she killed one once and thought i might be able to do better. well, 3 years later it's 2 1/2 maybe 3 feet tall and has only got 4 leafs at the very top...it's tall and skinny and everytime it grows new leaves at the top it loses it's leaves at the bottom. all the pictures i see of avocado trees have beautiful full leaves...how can i fix this? i really love my tree like a member of the family and want it to be happy [Frown] please somebody help me out?
by Triss on January 23, 2006 01:15 PM
Hi kingsfoil. I just started a half dozen avocados. Here is some good information on them.

Avocados

Let us know how they do.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Kingsfoil on January 23, 2006 10:51 PM
thanks for the read. i guess my question is, it's not a new plant anymore and i think what it might need is to be "pinched back" but i dont know if it will hurt it now or not. does anybody know if that will be safe and how far i might be able to go back? she's 3 years old.
by Triss on January 24, 2006 01:51 AM
Now that I do not know. I have not found anything about pruning or cutting back a more mature avocado. I hope somehow we can both get that answer.

-
 -
by tkhooper on January 24, 2006 08:44 AM
Since they grow a lot of roots my question is do you have it outside giving it the 20 feet radius that it wants or is it still in a pot?

-
 -
by Triss on January 24, 2006 01:51 PM
For me Tammy, I will keep mine in pots as a decorative houseplant. If you are not concerned about growing a tree, then they do really well in pots. I am planning on tri planting at least a set of mine and having their trunks intertwine. I saw one like that and it was so pretty. I have lots of seeds to work with also.

-
 -
by Kingsfoil on January 24, 2006 10:48 PM
mine is in a pot because i dont think it will live outside...i live in michigan.
by art on January 28, 2006 05:42 AM
Hi Kingsfoil,
Depending on the size of rhe pot,after 3 years your
avocado tree probably needs to be repotted.If you have temperatures below freezing you cannot keep it outside.you should plant it in a 30 gallon or larger pot on wheels so that you can bring in during freezing temps.If temperatures allow it to be outside ,plant it on a mound so that it is about 15 to 20 inches above ground level.I have one in a 30 gal.garbage plastic can.I cut the bottom off so that its about 20 inches above ground level. It is 3 yrs old and is giving me about 50 nice large avocados. Hope this helps you. Good luck.
PS. If its a seedling you won't have fruit for possibly 5 to 10 yrs.
art

art
by art on January 28, 2006 05:53 AM
Triss,
Avocado trees do not require pruning. They can be pruned for shaping or to keep them from growing to
large.This can be done at any time.Preferably after the rainy season. I try to keep mine at about 12
feet tall.
art

art
by Triss on January 29, 2006 04:53 AM
Thanks for the advice Art. Will pinching off a seedling cause more branches?

2 of my 6 seeds have cracked and I can see the sprout inside. It is very exciting.

-
 -
by art on January 30, 2006 07:26 AM
Triss,
Pinching the ends off, will force the roots and the trunk to get stronger.You can also begin to shape your tree. You can force it to grow tall or by pinching the top you can force it to spread more,as soon as it has about 5 leaves or more you can plant it in some potting soil.You can grow it in a 5 gal pot for about 3 years.Remember a seedling normally will not fruit for anywhere from 5 to 12 years and even then the fruit may or may not be of good quality.Good luck and have fun
art

art
by Kingsfoil on January 30, 2006 02:06 PM
thanks art. do you know how far down i should pinch it off? i mean, the poor guy only has 3 leaves left for some reason. he's probably a little over 3 feet tall and just tall and skinny. kind of pathetic but i love it for some reason. like charlie brown's christmas tree [Smile]
by Triss on January 31, 2006 04:49 AM
Thanks for that Art, so far no leaves at all. Just watching the seed crack open. Cannot wait to get them going though!

-
 -
by art on February 01, 2006 08:21 AM
Triss,
Usually the new budding leaf is pinched off when the tree is about 8 to 10 inches tall. Since yours is allready taller pinch it off just above the top leaf this should force some new branches to grow. By the way a tree this tall should be in a fairly large pot in potting soil.At this point it should not be in water only.Also if it's indoors,you should put it outdoors during the day if it's not freezing outside.
art

art
by Triss on February 01, 2006 08:36 AM
Think that one is for you Kingsfoil. Mine are not yet growing Art.

-
 -
by art on February 01, 2006 09:26 AM
Thank you Triss, that was for kingsfoil.
sorry for the mistake.
art

art
by Triss on February 01, 2006 09:59 AM
No problem Art, we all do that on occasion!

-
 -
by Kingsfoil on February 02, 2006 09:21 AM
yeah, mine's in a big ol' pot. i cant put it back outside until it warms up in michigan. i've never "pinched" a plant so do i just cut it with scissors below the top leaf then?
by art on February 03, 2006 03:46 AM
Kingsfoil,
Yes scissors will be fine,but cut it just above the top leaf,water it well but not too wet and feed it once a month with avocado & citrus fertilizer.For a potted avocado give it about 1 tablespoon and water it in.Give it as much light as possible.Lack of light makes them grow thin and spindly.
art

art
by Kingsfoil on February 04, 2006 12:14 PM
cool, perfect. thank you. i'll keep youguys posted [Smile]
by Kingsfoil on February 14, 2006 10:14 PM
to update you all, i moved my tree over to my big sliding glass door which gets ALOT of sunshine through it and now i've got all new leaves up and down the stem. more leaves now than ever before. maybe she just needed a little more light. thanks for everybody's advice
by tkhooper on February 15, 2006 04:14 AM
mine has a little hood like thing at the top of it's stem that I think are 4 little leaves getting ready to unfurl. There is also one itsy bitsy leaf on the side of the stem. I can't wait until I can transplant it. This is going to be way cool.

-
 -
by Triss on February 15, 2006 04:20 AM
So exciting Kinsfoil. And on yours too Tammy. Mine are still working on popping out of the seed pod. But each day they get closer!

-
 -
by tkhooper on February 15, 2006 04:53 AM
It's hard to wait three months to see any results isn't it? But I really feel like I've accomplished something when they finally sprout.

-
 -
by Triss on February 15, 2006 05:24 AM
Yes, it is hard, but will be very much worth it!

-
 -
by Kingsfoil on February 19, 2006 02:03 PM
i cant believe it but i've already got branches now. all i did was put it in direct sunlight instead of in-direct sunlight. my happy little plant. [Smile]
by Triss on February 21, 2006 05:25 AM
That is very exciting!!! I just moved my seeds to direct light hoping they will grow faster!

-
 -
by Kingsfoil on March 07, 2006 01:12 PM
question, i cut the top of it back and now the tip (about an inch) of my tree is brown and pruny. is this normal? i'm a little paranoid, i've never pinched a plant back before.
by art on March 13, 2006 06:49 AM
Kingsfoil
yes it is normal.usually when you cut the top off
it will die back to the next bud or branch. i don't believe you have to worry.in one of your messages you stated that your tree has started to branch out,this is good.if it's not freezing out take it out to a sunny spot.good luck.
art

art
by Triss on March 13, 2006 07:09 AM
Just wanted to update. On the seeds we stuck in water at the end of December, One of them has finally put up a stem. I am VERY excited about it. Will be putting it in dirt once the stem is up more than a hair.

-
 -
by Triss on April 10, 2006 07:11 AM
Update on my avocados.

I now have 2 trees. A 3rd seed has great roots but yet to sprout. I am thrilled with the progress they have made. Here is a pic of my largest one to date. It is about 5 inches tall and really loving the space it is in on my desk with sun all day long.

-

My 2nd tree has yet to really fan out its leaves but I will post when it does. It is about 3 inches tall right now.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on April 10, 2006 07:24 AM
I'm gonna sprout the pit from my next Hass avocado. This looks great, Triss !

-
 -
by Triss on April 10, 2006 07:34 AM
Thanks Deborah,

I was so excited about this one that I started more. I think we have 8 seeds going right now.

-
 -
by Willowbug on April 10, 2006 07:58 AM
I have always wanted to do this. What needs to be done with the avocado pit? Does it need to be dried out? I just looked today at buying an avacado but thought I should find out what needs to be done before I go ahead and buy one.
by Bill on April 10, 2006 08:00 AM
by Deborah L. on April 10, 2006 08:17 AM
Triss is gonna make her own avocado grove !
Thanks, Bill !
Try one soon, Willow !
I'll get a Hass and start a pit this week.

-
 -
by Triss on April 10, 2006 08:41 AM
Oh man, you are supposed to plant them tip side UP???? I have ALWAYS done mine tip side down. They are working that way but now I am wondering if they will do better the other way around?!?!

-
 -
by Triss on August 15, 2006 12:12 PM
Update on my trees. Here they are now.

I still cannot get the inside ones to grow more than one stem but still working on them.
 -

This one needs support and will get it when I transplant them this week.
 -

This one we thought died so outside it went and is doing very well. It will also get a bigger pot and come inside soon. The leaves are not that yellow, it is really bright outside though.
 -

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on August 15, 2006 12:25 PM
Looking VERY GOOD and HEALTHY Triss!

Thanks for sharing these pictures - wish I had the same success you have with these plants!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Triss on August 15, 2006 12:50 PM
Me too Lynne!

-
 -
by art on August 20, 2006 12:51 PM
triss
i saw the pictures. they need larger pots.and when they show new growth pinch the tops off.also they should be outside.if you have freezing weather bring them in.

art
by Triss on August 20, 2006 01:00 PM
Yep, they are ready to be transplanted. I am planning on them being house plants rather than outdoor ones though. I do have one outside and will be bringing it in this winter.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: