The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Veggies versus Plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Blackshep on October 09, 2005 11:08 AM
Pardon my ignorance with my topic. I am Very new at the gardening thing, But I am serious about getting into it in the spring. I want to plant some veggies, ( Letuce, TOmatos ) and some herbs, ( Mint, Sage, basil). Stuff like that. What is the best time and the best ways to set started.

Should I start growing this now, Being OCtober 8, 2005 in pots under special light or wait and is there anyother special preperation that is needed to the ground that I plant to grow with?

I guess I need alot of help. Anything will bw greatly appreciated.

Thank you for all help that is sent. It is deeply appreciated.
by Bill on October 09, 2005 11:31 AM
Its too early to start your spring seedlings, but its never too early to work on the garden plans.
Gardening basics....

Fruits and Veggies

Vegetable
Garden

I am moving this topic to the Fruits and Vegetable Forum...

-
by weezie13 on October 09, 2005 11:38 AM
Blackshep,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
We are very glad you found us...

Stick around, ask LOT'S of QUESTIONS,
we love to help the new gardener,
we were all new gardeners at some point...

What I would suggest is for each plant you'd like
to grow, ask questions on them... *start new posts for each* and that way we can address each plant to it's specifity....

If you are in Pa., I wouldn't start any of your
plants until end of March/ beginning of April..
I usually try to have my garden in by Memorial Weekend... so your plants should be hardened off during the month of May like, and in the ground by that weekend..
****This is just a ball park schedule, we've had blizzards' here on Mother's Day, so there's no set rule, but it's just a guide line I go by...****

And do you have a spot for a garden already?
Previously there, or one started this year?
Will you do the garden in the ground, or raised beds???

Stick with us, don't be hesitant to ask, and KEEP ASKING, don't be discouraged, and remember with each year passing you'll become a better gardener than the year before...
And don't go too big the first year, stick with
some basic plants. and see how you like it, vs.. the time you have to spend in the garden, and what not... If you undulate yourself too fast
some get discouraged...
but we're all here routing for you..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on October 09, 2005 12:00 PM
Hi, I second everything that was said twice lol. I'm a beginner and I love it here.

You can do a herb garden inside if you have a east or south facing window that gets good light. I grow basil, chives, green onions, and mint when I have some inside all year long. They can be started anytime if your growing them inside.

Hope you like your garden as much as I like mine.

-
 -
by Patty S on October 12, 2005 08:21 AM
Hi Blackshep [wayey]
I've raised veggies all my life & never paid much attention to flowers until recently. But, guess what?... I found out that I can have BOTH & I'm loving it! I'd suggest that you start out with something easy (and rewarding) for your front yard, like tulips, daffodils & Gladiolas for bursts of color in the spring, which you can buy now... but pay attention to your planting zone advisors because I don't think you can plant them in the fall, where you are. (?)
(I said front yard, but I used to plant corn under my living room window... That's where the sun shone all day long, & it also discouraged the neighbor kids from sneaking over to snatch fresh corn at night! My husband said I was nuts, but he ate well, so I told him to get his OWN garden!)

For your veggie garden, as Bill mentioned already, you can plan it out now & start getting your soil ready for succesful results next year. (It's not hard at all, & you'll never be sorry for taking a little time now, to prevent big headaches & save time, later!) Bill has given you links to excellent info that I'm sure will be terrific help (DO click on those links...I do believe he knows his stuff!). Weezie & tkhooper also have great advice & ideas, so I'm glad you found The Gardener's Forum, too!
Stick with it & HAPPY GARDENING!  -

-
 -
by comfrey on October 12, 2005 12:51 PM
I agree with everything everyone mentioned. My suggestion...is to start small. Here's an example of what I mean:

My gardening buddy & his wife down the road planted a small garden in 2004 and it produced nicely and they had many compliments on it...So in 2005 they expanded...They planted at least 4 kinds of tomatoes, 3 kinds of potatoes, at least a dozen kinds of peppers, ordered one of those strawberry towers, asparagus roots, blackberry bushes, and many more things....Well they never got the strawberries planted or the tower put up..the asparagus roots are in cold storage, they ended up letting their onions rot in the ground, didn't dig their potatoes at the right time and lost half of them...In other words they took on more then they could keep up with,,,So start small, or you will get discouraged and be disappointed...And by all means, post your questions here if you need to know how to do something [gabby] We all learned from someone else and some lessons have been learned the hard and painful way. Happy Gardening to you [thumb]

-
 -
by tkhooper on October 12, 2005 08:16 PM
Excellent point Comfrey. I am so guilty of that. This year I bought all kinds of seeds and only got a very few planted out of the total. Fortunately for me the seed exchange was able to absorb my overstock lol. So I have nice fresh seeds for next year and I've been parceling those up so that I'll keep a few for my small space and can share the rest with the friends I have made here. Also with the information and ideas I have gotten from other members we have been able to whittle down my wish list from over 400.00 of goodies down to basically nothing. There were still a few things I bought but they were very few. I got a bug killer, a root stimulator (before I found out about honey) lol, epsom salts for the roses, bone meal for the bulbs and a general purpose fertilizer for everything else. I also invested in a small bag of polymer crystals because it was around 3 weeks between rains this summer and I have to hand carry water to my garden. I can't wait to see how they work out.

-
 -
by comfrey on October 12, 2005 11:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tkhooper:
I have to hand carry water to my garden.
WOW..Now that is dedication...If I had to hand carry water...I would be gardening in pots or buckets close to the house, I really don't think I could do it. I had back surgery a couple of years ago, and still need another surgery on my back, so I try very hard to not over do it, and to find the easiest way with less stress to my back...Dragging the hose around is alot of work for me LOL.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: