The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

purple (blue) potatoes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Tamara from Minnesota on September 02, 2005 08:02 AM
For 3 years I have grown the blue potatoes from Pinetree catalog. They are so beautiful! but they frankly don't taste so great. They seem dryish like russets so I tried mashing them last night and they turned out like glue. Does anyone else grow them and like how they cook them? I like the "all red" ones so much better. Here is a photo of the little purple ones and some baby fingerling and other baby veggies. I love funny colored veggies!!! [Smile]  -

-
by tamara on September 02, 2005 08:21 PM
Blue potatoes are a waxy variety, they are not for mashing, baking or fries. they do better as a cubed potatoe in salads or as a scalloped potatoe with sauce. Hope this helps.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by Tamara from Minnesota on September 05, 2005 10:53 AM
I always thought they were the dry fluffy kind. The red and yukon gold are much more waxy/thin skinned. Blue potatoes have these annoying thick skins. I have seen recipes for potato salad with them but I do not like cold potatoes. I think I will do just roasted new potatoes with them. They are sort of like models; pretty to look at but not much good for anything. [Roll Eyes]

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: