The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Overwintering in containers

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by slredmond on September 02, 2006 04:41 AM
We're moving to a new house, and I'm taking lots of my favorite perennials with me, particularly several hostas. Since we're overwhelmed with the house rehab, the gardens are on the back burner. I have LOTS of stuff in containers, and it's not looking good that we'll have time to do any ground prep before winter so I can plant them.

My question is, how do I overwinter them? I don't want their little roots to freeze being in the containers. I think my basement would probably be too warm and they would not get their required period of dormancy.

Thanks!

Sandy R.
by netwiz on September 02, 2006 05:19 AM
Hi Sandy,

I have quite a few plants in containers that won't be planted out by winter. I was told to dig holes and bury the containers to overwinter them safely. I plan to mulch the area as well. Good luck with the new house!

Joanne
by alankhart on September 02, 2006 06:23 AM
Joanne has the right idea...bury them in a pile of mulch, with only a loose amount over the tops. This should protect all but the ones that may not be as hardy.

-
 -
 -
by patches1414 on September 02, 2006 06:39 PM
quote:
dig holes and bury the containers to overwinter them safely. I plan to mulch the area as well.
Sandy, this is exactly what I did last year with some Hostas and a few other plants and they all survived! [clappy] [clappy] I'm in zone 5 or maybe it's 6A as I just found out today!!! [dunno] This was a surprize to me! [shocked]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by slredmond on September 04, 2006 01:29 AM
Thanks all for your suggestions. Big "however," though!! [Embarrassed] Honestly, I would have a trench from here to next Wednesday (I have at least 20 plants in containers - some VERY large) and NO time to dig. [Eek!] We are working on our nightmare of a house (think the movie "Money Pit") and have to get the heat back on before it gets any colder! See: http://lasalpacas.com/Hasbrouck.htm (WARNING: lots of pictures)

We do have an insulated pole barn. What about putting them in there surrounded by bales of straw?

Sandy R.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: