The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hard Rain Broke My Daylilies Apart?! :'(

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: hard move on plants| Next thread: Hard Sugar Candy »
Back to Thread index
by daylily77 on August 25, 2006 04:08 PM
I was so excited for tomorrow because I had 4 Daylily Blooms about to open on the same day. Well they all started opening tonight, and then it rained pretty hard. When I went outside again after the rain, they were all broken apart!! [tears] Did the rain really do this? I am so sad! This is 4 Daylilies that I could've enjoyed all on the same day, and now they're demolished! [tears]
by TulsaRose on August 25, 2006 11:49 PM
Sometimes Mother Nature can be a real witch. On the other hand, your daylilies will survive and bloom on...just not today. [Wink] Was anything else harmed other than the flower buds?

We had a storm in late spring with huge hail that did a lot of damage but you can't tell it now.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Bestofour on August 26, 2006 12:51 PM
it must have been a big storm to ruin your flowers [Eek!] No consolation now but daylillies are sturdy and will recover to bloom again another day. And multiply so you'll have even more blooms.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by daylily77 on August 26, 2006 05:55 PM
Thanks to you both for the comforting words. It was a hard rain, but now I'm starting to think that it also has something to do with the place they're planted. I think the rain from my roof may barrel right down onto them! The reason I'm thinking that is because I also noticed that the rain had totally moved my mulch by them, too! There was a big spot with just dirt and all the mulch had washed away. I hope this won't happen often!
by TulsaRose on August 26, 2006 10:14 PM
You may want to think about relocating them after they've completed their bloom season? Or leave them there and put up gutters? [Wink] Or Umbrellas? lol!

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Bestofour on August 27, 2006 03:40 AM
daylilly, I have spots on my house, even with gutters, that the rain seems to pour off of. 2 or 3 months ago we had a new roof put on our house but it still does it in 2 spots. I don't know why. Monkey grass is one thing that can survive such a beating if you need to plant in those particular spots.

I LOVE the name Tula.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by TulsaRose on August 27, 2006 07:04 AM
Sheri, Tula was my ex's mothers name. [Wink] My screen name is Tulsa Rose cuz I'm from Tulsa OK.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: hard move on plants| Next thread: Hard Sugar Candy »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: