The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New Columbines

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: New Chrysanthemums Questions| Next thread: New composter »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on August 22, 2006 04:42 AM
Well I planted a dozen of Bills Mixed Columbines. I can't wait to see what I get next year. I'm very very excited. Of course I won't have any place for the snapdragons next year but I'll think of something. More pots probably lol.

-
 -
by alankhart on August 22, 2006 05:03 AM
Columbines are one of my favorite spring perennials...I also started some from seed this year, I think they were pink and purple ones. I also have several that reseeded in one of my paths from nearby plants, and I'm going to dig those up and replant them elsewhere.

-
 -
 -
by Bestofour on August 22, 2006 05:23 AM
so, does this mean you're not moving after all? Columbines are one of my favorites too, although I haven't had much luck with them in this yard. I think I have too much shade or too much sun. I don't have an in between space anymore. It's either or.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by jbaby7162000 on August 22, 2006 06:12 AM
hi alankhart did u have to put them in the referitor first.are anything special to get to come up.

joanne
by alankhart on August 22, 2006 07:41 AM
Many columbine cultivars do need a cold period, but I didn't know if the ones I had were the ones that did, so I put them in the frig for 2 weeks anyway and had a very good success rate.

-
 -
 -
by patches1414 on August 22, 2006 08:37 AM
Sheri, the Columbine in all my beds did well this year even the ones in my shade garden that receives very little, if any, sun. The rest of them are planted in beds with partial shade.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Bestofour on August 22, 2006 01:15 PM
Patches, I have 1 that comes up in a shady bed but it never gets very tall and doesn't bloom very long.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by TulsaRose on August 23, 2006 12:05 AM
Curiosity killed the cat and is about to do the same to me. Are these seeds you started indoors or in your flowerbeds this summer? I've had seeds in the fridge for about six weeks and had planned to winter-sow them but if they can be started now, I'll give it a shot. I may just sow half now and half later. Tell me your secret, Alan. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by alankhart on August 23, 2006 06:54 AM
I actually started mine this past spring in pots. I kept the seed in the refrigerater for 2 weeks, then sowed them in small pots outside. I believe it took about a week for them to gerninate. I kept them in a partial shady spot outside until recently when I decided to go ahead and plant them. You can sow them now and by winter they should be established enough to make it (if you are in a zone with a long enough growing season.)

-
 -
 -
by TulsaRose on August 23, 2006 11:57 AM
OK...I sowed seed of three different shades of purple\lavender in a large dish container and will watch it like a hawk. We should have another good 9 - 10 wks of growing season unless something out of the ordinary happens weatherwise. Thanks for the advice, Alan. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: New Chrysanthemums Questions| Next thread: New composter »
Back to Thread index