The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New composter

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: New Columbines| Next thread: New double Gaillardia?? »
Back to Thread index
by gardenfairy on August 24, 2006 09:51 AM
I want to start a compost bin, I have the general idea of how to start one, but I don't know what to put it in. I live in base housing and can't build a bin. I thought about a trash can, but it needs to get air, right? Any suggestions. Also, there is a big pile of leaves and sticks behind my house where the lawn people apparently piled up the leaves from the fall, can I use this?

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by patches1414 on August 24, 2006 10:03 AM
Monica, they have some really nice Back Porch composters now available and they are pretty reasonable. [Wink] They are also portable. I have friends who live on the base here and they don't have any problem with it complying to the rules. Check out some of the Back Porch composters on the internet and see if one of them would work. [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by gardenfairy on August 24, 2006 01:41 PM
Thanks Patches, will do!!

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by patches1414 on August 24, 2006 06:58 PM
You're welcome, Monica!

Let me know what you find out and what you think about those Back Porch Composters. [dunno] Composting is so much fun and it gives me such a sense of satisfation to be able to create all that "Black Gold" from things I used to throw away! [Wink] My flowers love it! [Love]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by tkhooper on August 25, 2006 12:31 AM
I use a trash can no problem. Just drill a couple of holes in the bottom for drainage. And yes the sticks put in the bottom for air circulation and then you can put in brown leaves mixed with grass clippings for your compost. Grass clippings will smell if they are put in by themselves so you want about 75 percent brown stuff and 25 percent green stuff. Then just turn it as often as you can.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: New Columbines| Next thread: New double Gaillardia?? »
Back to Thread index