The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My new favorite perennial

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by alankhart on August 04, 2006 08:57 AM
I think my new favorite perennial is helenium. I just love it's small daisy-like flowers and the colors it comes in. I have one called Butter Pat which is a pretty yellow, one called Mardi Gras which is a mixture of brown, rust and yellow, and another called Morheim Beauty which is a red/bronze. They usually grow around 3 ft. tall, although the Butter Pat gets 4 ft. tall, and are very easy to grow. I have had to order them because I haven't found a local nursery that sells them. I'm thinking about getting more!

-
 -
 -
by Karrie on August 04, 2006 09:54 AM
I had to order one too. It took it 2 summers to get tall and beautiful. Its at my house in Indy. I want to go back and dig it up but my neice loves it. They are impossible to find in nurseries.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by dodge on August 05, 2006 01:28 PM
alanhart & Karrie

Is helenium related to the mexican hat?
You should like it too.Here is mine. perennial.
dodge
 -

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by TulsaRose on August 05, 2006 11:10 PM
Alan, I love the Heleniums, too and you have picked three good ones. Another one in the same colors that is beautiful is Helenium autumnale. May I inquire as to where you purchased your plants? I would like to replace a couple I lost several years ago.

Dodge, Mexican Hat isn't a Helenium. It's classified as Ratibida columnaris. They are both in the Asteraceae family. Colorwise, your Mexican Hats would blend in beautifully with Alan's Heleniums.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by alankhart on August 06, 2006 04:28 AM
Rosie, I got them from two different mail order nurseries: Busse Gardens and Joy Creek Nursery,
www.bussegardens.com and www.joycreek.com

I ordered them last fall and they are all doing well, growing nicely and starting to bloom now.

-
 -
 -
by netwiz on August 06, 2006 05:36 AM
Have you considered growing them from seed? Specialty Perennials has a nice variety of helenium seeds and it would be MUCH cheaper than nursery plants. I plan to try a few myself now that I've looked at them. They are beautiful!

Joanne
by TulsaRose on August 06, 2006 06:27 AM
Thanks for the info and links, Alan. I nearly fainted when I saw the prices though. [Big Grin] I may have to check out Joanne's seed idea or hope I find some marked-down plants here at the end of summer.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by alankhart on August 06, 2006 08:55 AM
The prices are outrageous...that's one big problem with mail order....the other being the plant size is smaller than what you'd get in your local nursery.
I wonder just how easy they are to start from seed....I may try that myself. Thanks for suggesting it, Joanne.

-
 -
 -
by netty on August 06, 2006 09:38 AM
I started my helenium from seed planted outside in the fall. The first year there were no blooms but they have had blooms the past 2 years. They have just started to bloom this week...I could save some seeds for trading...

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: