The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

High PH or to much salt

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Hidden Valley| Next thread: High Tech Scarecrow »
Back to Thread index
by migraine on June 04, 2005 04:07 AM
Some of my plants are turning yellow on the top...Mostly peppers...This is a 4' x 16' container garden...It is new this year...I got a load of mushroom manure and mixed it with pro mix...Two things could of happened here but I thought I would get you guys and gals opinion first before trying a remedy...1st. When I was trying to alter my PH I was reading the meter wrong...Now I'm a little high...Between 6.8 to 7.5 in diferat places...I don't know how accurate those meters are but it was a $10.00 one...I am gonna get a chemical test kit...2.nd...When I planted my peppers a put a teaspoon of epsom salts in the whole...That seamed to be ok...Then when the peppers got about 8 inches tall I forgot I put the salt in the whole and bought some organic solutions epsom salt with potassium in it wanting to put some potassium in the ground...I know I can't beleive I forgot at planting...Bad day...What do you think and how do I remedy it...Thanks for the help..

migraine
by Longy on June 04, 2005 12:28 PM
I'd suggest a lack of nitrogen. Or low nitrogen relative to other nutrients creating an imbalance. Although you did say the new tips are yellow and this deficiency tends to show up on older leaves first. The epsom salts is magnesium sulphate, i'm not sure how an excess is displayed or how to correct it. The extra potassium shouldn't be a problem.
The Ph is a tad high but not really over the top. Quite acceptable really.
I'd try a liquid fertiliser with a high nitrogen content on one or two plants to test if it is a nitrogen deficiency then go from there. I say liquid because it will act faster esp if you apply it to the leaves.
Another possibility is iron deficiency. This is characterised by newer leaves turning yellow so may be the problem. If you decide to fertilise with the liquid fert, ensure it contains trace elements.
The problem with adding things individually, as opposed to using a complete fertiliser, is that it can upset the balance. Too much of one can reduce the availability of another.
I don't like the meter type Ph test kits as they seem to be a bit inaccurate. I prefer the chemical one.
Here is a handy site for future reference regarding nutrient deficiencies in plants. (Tomatoes are used here)
http://www.plantphys.net/printer.php?ch=5&id=289

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hidden Valley| Next thread: High Tech Scarecrow »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: