The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

High Tech Scarecrow

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by ClodHopper on June 24, 2004 06:46 PM
Anybody tried these motion sensor sprinklers/scarecrows? I have birds eating over 1/2 my tomato crop and rabbits eating everything that they can reach. I keep getting the "put up chicken wire" advice, but I grow this garden not just because I enjoy it, but because it's economical.... it'd take about $80-$100 worth of wire to go around my entire garden. Then it's unsightly (garden looks like war zone), and a pain in the a$$ to get your tiller in and out, not to mention yourself.

One of my main concerns is if the scarecrow is sensitive enough to detect rabbits or small birds/whatevers-pecking-the-life-out-of-my-maters. Or, if the wind blowing stuff will be setting it off non-stop... very windy here.

[nutz]

-

Hook em'
by Phil and Laura on June 24, 2004 07:35 PM
ClodHopper, It will depend on your garden area, motion detectors have changed alot, yes they will pick up rabbits,coons,cats,dogs,deers, BUT, out in the open they WILL pick up anything within the range of the sensor...and that includes, night BUGS, tree limbs a blowin, and of course...your non-gardening neighbor stealing your tomatoes! It is Very windy here(did you ever check out our pix?) Phunny Pharm Pix and We have over 6000 sq. ft., with only500 sq.ft. fenced in!
And I am not sure, BUT, does this motion detector work in the daylight? If not there are not many night-pecking birds [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by Phil and Laura on June 24, 2004 07:53 PM
OOPSY!!
by afgreyparrot on June 24, 2004 07:58 PM
I've had a lot of experience with motion detectors, thanks to a brother in the home security business. You can fine tune most of them pretty good these days, setting the beam down to just get up to a certain level (uhhh...how did Phil put that? "within the range of the sensor") so you don't get the tree branches setting it off, and also the size of object that sets it off can be tuned in (lets the bugs fly through without setting it off). All the detectors in my house are "pet friendly", so the dog and parrot won't get BUSTED, but if I set in a chair and put my arm up, it picks it up. [nutz] I don't understand it, but it works! I'd definitely read the fine print to make sure you could fine tune it, or your water bill will be astronomical! (But your garden would get watered good!)

-

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by ClodHopper on June 24, 2004 09:24 PM
Phil,Laura,AFGP thanks for the reply. It is good to know that it can detect small things (i.e. birds and rabbits). I think since it is an infrared (heat) sensor I dont have to worry about the wind thing as much or night pest since IR sensors work in the dark. As for the water bill, it isn't a concern since I live in the country and have a water well for the yard/garden and coop water for the house. Although I dont want to flood my maters. Cool pix by the way. I need to take some pictures of my garden with the kids in there. And for afgreyparrot, since I always enjoy your posts so much and never fail to get a smile from them, here is a picture of my 1yr old, Nate, you might find amusing.

Nate in action

We thought we had this bathroom closed off while we were remodeling, but apparently not. as you can see, it is not "babyproof" like our others are.

Hook em'
by Phil and Laura on June 24, 2004 10:36 PM
Nate's a good lookin boy for sure, and looks a lil onery! Guess I missed The infra-red part! Pretty much excludes birds though! Use the cd's Aol sends Ya every $#@ month, hang them around your maters and the wind/sun will scare em off...hopefully!P.S. Hope you aren't an AOL user [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: