The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Harvested my first keylime today!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by keylime on November 13, 2005 05:47 AM
Harvested my first of the season keylime today! I now have two mature trees which are going to produce about two dozen keylimes this season. They should all be ready by Christmas. I'm so excited, because I have raised these trees from seed, and it took twelve years for them to bear! We keep them in a greenhouse in the winter months when below 40 degrees, then outside all summer. These are the REAL key limes, not persian limes. I understand they are pretty rare now. [flower]
 -

-
by weezie13 on November 13, 2005 09:56 AM
quote:
I'm so excited, because I have raised these trees from seed, and it took twelve years for them to bear!
TALK ABOUT PATIENCE!!!!
WOWWWWWWWWWW!!!
And it's a beautiful tree and harvest too!!!! [thumb] [flower] [Cool] [thumb]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by ShirlS on November 13, 2005 11:02 PM
Wow!! I bet you are so thrilled! I'm with Weezi about you being mega patient! 12 yrs is a longgggggggg time to wait for fruit!

Shirl

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by reguy on November 14, 2005 03:06 PM
Wow! Now that is totally cool! Perseverance sure paid off for you. I couldn't wait and bought my key lime tree from a nursery. [Roll Eyes]

Believe it or not, your post really inspires me. I'm growing 14 (yes...I planted every seed I could find...) pummelo trees. The seedlings just sprouted two months ago...10 more years to watch and wait... [sleepy]

Good job keylime!
Steve
by reguy on November 14, 2005 03:08 PM
Keylime,

Ummm....stupid question. Where did you get key lime seeds from? I thought limes were seedless?

Steve
by BigJimSlade on November 17, 2005 01:58 PM
Beautiful! Congrats!
by keylime on January 05, 2006 10:23 AM
Thought y'all might enjoy an update on the lime trees. My crop is about half harvested now. Still enjoying fresh key lime juice in my morning hot tea every day. I took the seeds from the first lime and planted them and now have two new baby trees! Only twelve more years til they bear fruit- LOL!
Here's their baby pix!
 -
by weezie13 on January 05, 2006 10:40 AM
quote:
Only twelve more years til they bear fruit- LOL!

oh geesh, what patience I tell you...

Those lil'guys look soooooo good....

I hope they all turn out for you,
what fun that would be....

*And [grin] Thanks for keeping us [gabby] updated...
That's what makes half of the fun around here,
we love [Cool] , love [Love] , love [Cool] to see updates [critic] ..*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: