The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

sandy soil

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Sandy Soil| Next thread: santa cookies »
Back to Thread index
by moonstar on December 31, 2003 11:08 PM
I have recently moved to a farm. My soil is sand! It looks like someone had actually brought loads of sand in. Any suggestions on how to get even grass started let alone a garden. IS this what they would call loomy soil?? I need help desprately! Any help would be greatly appreciated..

-
by weezie13 on December 31, 2003 11:45 PM
Compost, Compost, Compost!!!!

[wayey] Hello Moonstar!!! [wayey]
Welcome to The Garden Helpers Forum!!!
Glad to have you here................

I have questions for you......
Are you wanting a food garden?
Flower garden?
Both?
Do you compost?
Can you get cow manure, rabbit, chicken, horse?
Do you have access to leaves you can mulch up?

One of the BEST things for sandy loam is compost, what it does it holds in a bit of moisture so it doesn't all drain away and adds good food source for worms and such to come in and eat up and produce vermaculture (worm castings) which is great for plants and soil consistancy!!!!

Do you know how to make compost??

You know, if you don't no a large big deal, they have something that's similar (although there is nothing like the real thing, hand made!!) but it's out there, in bags, usually the same time of year you can get top soil, cow manure, peatmoss in bags at your local nursery, tool centers, Wal~Marts, etc.... Just work that in.............

I hope I've helped, if there's any more questions you have, ask away!!! That's why we're here!!!!
We [Love] [Cool] [gabby] [flower] !!!
Translation;
(We LOVE talking gardening!)

Weezie
Happy Gardening!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on December 31, 2003 11:46 PM
Where is Blackfoot Buffalo Ranch?

I live by Buffalo, N.Y...........

It's gotta be out West though I'll bet!!!

Just curious!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by moonstar on January 01, 2004 01:07 AM
Thanks for the advice! I will do that. I have not had experience with sandy soil before. I live just out side of Everton, Missouri. I do have alot of access to the natural stuff! I have 58 chickens, 12 rabbits and buffalo! I do think that all that can be used. And I seem to have alot of it! I didn't know if I would have to have a "raised" garden for my vegetable garden this year or what. I also need some help on trees that are fast growing that will help with erosion for along my drive way. I live on a hill and it washes out terriably!

-
by weezie13 on January 01, 2004 01:23 AM
Hello Moonstar,
I think that Buffalo manure will do just fine...
Rabbit poop is one of the best things for doing composting and adding manure to the fields as there's suppose to be hardly no weed~seeds in there.
I used to have 40+ of them, I loved them....
And chickens, we used to have a ba~zillion of those too... And that is also great for the compost, and if you use it in the compost, it's a great starter to the stuff in the pile, because it's HOT!! (*Never use fresh chicken poop on a garden, or any sort, it's too hot when fresh, but let it set for awhile and you've got your hands on some great stuff, wish I has some!!)

I have 5 raised beds on my mom's side of the backyard, she lives right next door to me here in town... and we did 2 the first year, 3 more this year, and we think we'd like 2 more next spring..
We love to grow alot of vegetables, so we need the room. We initionally did the raised beds as it's so much easier maintaining the garden and picking.... but we too have sandy loam but it also has several low spots, right where we wanted to put the garden and that's the ultimate reason for the raised beds... Depends on you, and do you have access to wood that is cheap/ and help that is cheap to construct it or would you do it...???
My husband and his father did it for me and my mom and we used rough~cut lumber... and planed to seats on top on either side to sit on and now splinters...

What are the conditions for where the trees are?
Sunny?
None at all near there.
Same type of soil......
I think some of the other gardeners may be able to help you with that, Papito is into trees... or Bill....

Well bring it back up to the top if noone answers right away!!!
Good talking to you, stick around we have a great bunch of gardeners here...
Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on January 01, 2004 01:25 AM
I have cousin's that live in Missouri, in,
OMG, I can't remember, they just moved there,
I think it's Wildwood???
Close or no cigar, or never heard of it???
Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Bess of the Piedmont on January 15, 2004 07:09 PM
Here's that website about trees for sandy soils: http://www.backyardgardener.com/tree/indexlist5.html

Many herbs LOVE sandy soil!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Sandy Soil| Next thread: santa cookies »
Back to Thread index