The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

slimy soil

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Slightly White| Next thread: Slow Cooker/Crock Pot Receipes »
Back to Thread index
by lsalmi on June 26, 2004 05:55 PM
Help. I have just returned from an extended weekend trip.(Fri pm to Tue.pm) I watered my houseplants before I left and again when I returned. Today(Saturday) I was checking on my plants and found that my String of Hearts had a slim like (mold?) growing on the top of the soil.
None of the other plants are affected. This plant has otherwise been doing great. I have started new plants from cuttings, and it has been flowering on and off for the past few months. I am prepareing to repot (washing off the plant and roots and replacing all of the soil.) Anyone having any other advice about this problem please help.....will be repotting later today. Also need I be worried about my other plants developing the same problem. I have not changed the way any of these plants are cared for and have done the same care when going on simular short trips and this is the first time I have found this problem. I have tried to find a solution on the web but can only find info about outdoor slime.
by sachis2112 on June 27, 2004 01:38 AM
I've used a mild anti-fungal spray (a brand called "Safer") and it takes pretty good care of moldy stuff.

Will mentioned to someone else that her type of possible mold wouldn't hurt her plant. I'm sure he'll be along shortly and can let us know.

-
by lsalmi on June 30, 2004 08:54 PM
I have had a better chance to check out the plant and have found that almost all of the vines were rotted off at the soil line. I have goneand removed all of the plant from the pot and disposed the pot and soil. I found only 3 vines that were not rotted and still had roots attached. I have now started to re-root the rest of the plants. I used new soil and pruned each stem to a higher level washed them with soap and sprayed with a mild alcohol solution. I am aware that these plants re-root easily so I need not worry about losing the plant. None other of my plants have been effectted as yet Thanks for all your help

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Slightly White| Next thread: Slow Cooker/Crock Pot Receipes »
Back to Thread index