The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Winter Bathroom Project-picture heavy

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 1 2 3
by Pburgh on September 26, 2006 09:54 PM
Wow, you really have a project going there!! Looks really great. I love the way you've picked up the teal color from your vanity and have selected pots to match. Are you going to put anything on top of your linen closet beside the sink? I can see something up there that would trail down the wood beside your sink. Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see the finished product. I love Bromilaids in a bathroom too.

My gardens
http://community.webshots.com/user/pburghp
by BeckyB on September 27, 2006 04:53 AM
Wow Triss! What a great idea. I can't think of a better way to decorate any room. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's all done!
Keep the pics coming!
[thumb]

-
 -
"As long as there are tests,
there will be prayer in public schools"
- Maxine
by chenno on September 27, 2006 06:25 AM
Triss, just found this...Looks great,cannot wait to see more [clappy]

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by Triss on September 27, 2006 07:19 AM
I got a little done today. This is the corner section above the bath tub. I added rails above the mirror that will hold shelves. In this first pic you can really see the skylight.

-

And the first shelf up close
 -

And from a bit back. In the mirrors you can see a reflection of the first rail I set up that the lattice will be attached to. All of the different reflections make it seem as though there is a lot more color in there than there is. It is very cool. You can also see the fence though it is not all the way done yet.

-

I am going to get a pathos or philo for that corner so it can go down behind the shelf.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Triss on September 27, 2006 07:26 AM
Pburgh, I do not know if I would get enough light for anything up above that closet. I have bunnies up there now but will have to look into something. I like the idea of a plant trailing down and giving some green to all that open wood.

-
 -
by Pburgh on September 27, 2006 08:22 PM
I can't wait to see this when it's finished. I think a pothos could make it on top of that linen closet!! I wanna come over and help!!! I'm a good painter!lol

Great job Triss

My gardens
by Triss on September 28, 2006 02:40 AM
I just picked up a varigated pothos today. Also a bromeliad, rubber plant and a lady fern. Now I need to find some neat looking pots for them all.

-
 -
by Pburgh on September 28, 2006 03:55 AM
You have the teal and brown pots. Terra cotta would look terrific with that and cheap too!!

My gardens
by Triss on September 30, 2006 02:03 AM
I put a plant in the upper corner shelf. It looks a lot fuller than it is becuase of the mirrors.

-

-
 -
by Tonya on September 30, 2006 02:17 AM
That is very pretty, Triss! [thumb] [clappy] [clappy]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Pburgh on September 30, 2006 02:19 AM
Looking good Triss!!!!!!

My gardens
by penny in ontario on September 30, 2006 02:30 AM
Looks great Triss!!!!

-
 -

-
by Triss on October 01, 2006 07:36 AM
We have been working our tails off in the bathroom today. Here is where we got as of mid afternoon. More to come later.

-

-
 -
by badplanter on October 01, 2006 08:27 AM
Oh WOW Triss!!! Thats amazing!!!!! [thumb]
[clappy]

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by gardeningmomma on October 01, 2006 09:20 AM
Looking good [thumb]
by Triss on October 01, 2006 11:34 AM
Ok here is all we did today.

The lower corner shelves.
 -

And with plants
 -

The overall look of the bathtub
 -

And the lattice which as of now has no plants
 -

-
 -
by penny in ontario on October 01, 2006 09:14 PM
Great job Triss!!

I love it!!

-
 -

-
by Tonya on October 01, 2006 09:30 PM
I Love it!!! Now, when can you come do mine...no wait! I need a tub first! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Seriously- it looks fabulous!!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Jiffymouse on October 01, 2006 10:33 PM
[kissies] you have given me so many ideas to borrow!
by plants 'n pots on October 01, 2006 11:13 PM
WOW TRISS - IT LOOKS AMAZING!!! [clappy]

And I love how it looks even fuller because of the reflections in the mirrors.
It really looks like a jungle in there - mission accomplished! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by melcon6 on October 01, 2006 11:20 PM
OMG, Triss, that is looking spectacular!!!! What a great job you guys are doing. You and Lynne are really inspiring me to do something with my bathroom. I've been really bad with houseplants, the only indoor plant that has survived for me is my old faithful asparagus fern. Now I have a jade plant that my son planted in kindergarten, still thriving and he's in second grade! I just recently got a begonia from work. Unfortunately, I just brought them indoors and the three cats have gone nuts on them, so they are in my bathroom and I have to remember to keep the door closed so they can't touch them.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by angelblossom on October 01, 2006 11:33 PM
What a difference Triss! Great JOB!!!!

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by Triss on October 01, 2006 11:57 PM
Thanks everyone!!! We just love it all so far!

-
 -
by loz on October 02, 2006 04:05 AM
Looks really great Triss! [muggs]
by Pburgh on October 02, 2006 09:00 PM
WOW, that looks terrific. What a great optical illusion with the bromilaid. When I first looked I thought there were three of them. That pothos will take off like crazy right under that skylight.

You've been working so hard. Have you had time to light some candles and draw a nice bubble bath??

My gardens
by Triss on October 02, 2006 11:03 PM
Oh yeah, last night I loaded up the tub with bubbles and lit a candle, only needed one cuz of all the reflection. It was so relaxing and peaceful!

We also go tthe rest of the fence up and then decided we wanted it painted so that is this weeks project.

-
 -
by BeckyB on October 03, 2006 04:12 AM
Triss, it's beautiful!
I'm coming to your house to take a bath under those plants.
[clappy] [clappy]

-
 -
"As long as there are tests,
there will be prayer in public schools"
- Maxine
by ChristinaC on October 03, 2006 06:28 AM
[shocked] Triss..I didn't know you had a thread about this...and I've been waiting! Looks fantastic!! Sorry I didn't see this earlier..oh, how I would love to wake up in the morning to a bathroom full of such beauty like that!
Can I come over to have my morning shower? [Wink]

-
 -
by Triss on October 03, 2006 07:00 AM
Well if anyone comes and visits, I promise I will let you shower or take a long hot bath in the new bathroom.

-
 -
by cinta on October 03, 2006 09:44 AM
Triss I have been following your progress. I have to tell you it is simply beautiful. Like taking a bath in the tropics. How cool is that. Love, Love Love it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by Dixie Angel on October 03, 2006 09:55 AM
It is looking gorgeous, Triss! You and Dan should be proud of yourselves...

Dianna

-
 -
by Triss on October 03, 2006 10:14 AM
Thank you!!!

Here is the next step, the fence. I have already started painting it and will sand the wood after it dries to give it a weathered look.

The door to the bathroom is to the left
 -

The shower to the right
 -

And this is above the corner

-

We were originally not going to paint the fence, but have decided we did not like it plain wood. So now I get to paint it up on the wall, a lot trickier!

-
 -
by badplanter on October 03, 2006 10:29 AM
Lookin' GREAT, Triss!

[thumb]

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by Triss on October 04, 2006 03:10 AM
Ok I have a dilemma. The bathroom rug. I like this one but Dan is not too sure. What do you think?

And if you do not care for it, then what color would you go with?

The rug against the tub
 -

And under the picket fence to give an idea of how the colors work together.
 -

-
 -
by Pburgh on October 04, 2006 03:16 AM
I love the rug. It adds a different texture. Will look great with the green of the plants. I don't think a plain color would look good at all.

My gardens
by penny in ontario on October 04, 2006 03:35 AM
I do like that rug, but if you are going for a outdoors feel to it, what about green so that it resembles grass next to the fence?
looks great though

-
 -

-
by plants 'n pots on October 04, 2006 03:39 AM
Personally, I would like to see a different color rug. I think this detracts from the pretty color on the wood, and makes it too much of the same color. I think the green would also be a better idea - a contrast - if you have too much of the same color, then it all kinda blends into one - know what I mean?

I'm not meaning to be critical at all, Triss - just offering my opinion. [kissies]

-
 -
by Triss on October 04, 2006 03:47 AM
That is why I posted Lynne, I want more opinions. I like the idea of green also but did not see one I wanted. I may try and take a trip to Linens and Things to see if I can find a good color.

-
 -
by Pburgh on October 04, 2006 03:53 AM
I think green would chop the room up rather than making it flow. jmho The stripe of beige in that carpet picks up the color of the tile on the floor too.

My gardens
by plants 'n pots on October 04, 2006 04:49 AM
Pburgh - did you know that the edgeing tiles on the vanity top are green? That's why I was suggesting that.

Of course, if you could find one that has both colors in it, Triss, that would be great too!

-
 -
by Triss on October 04, 2006 05:18 AM
There is also a lighter shade of green in the floor tiles. The thing is that Dan and I cannot decide on a shade of green (sound familiar Lynne?) He wants really deep and I want more of a grey green. I think I am just going to bring home a handfull of washrags in the colors I like and see which one we can both agree on.

-
 -
by angelblossom on October 04, 2006 05:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by plants 'n pots:
Personally, I would like to see a different color rug. I think this detracts from the pretty color on the wood, and makes it too much of the same color. I think the green would also be a better idea - a contrast - if you have too much of the same color, then it all kinda blends into one - know what I mean?

I'm not meaning to be critical at all, Triss - just offering my opinion. [kissies]

I have to agree with Lynne and Penny I would go with a green.,, It would not only add contrast but dimension as well.I think with the same colors in rug, lattice and fencing it would make the room look smaller., and with the greenery of the plants a green rug would pull the room together. May be not one with big designs in it as opposed to one with some sort of design with delicate warm gold hues or tones in it [dunno]

-
 -
by badplanter on October 04, 2006 05:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by plants 'n pots:

I do like the rug, but then again, I agree with Lynne. I would offer color ideas, but "kids" have no idea what they're talking about regarding colors! [Wink] [Big Grin] [Embarrassed] [scaredy] [dunno] [Smile] [Embarrassed]
we have TERRIBLE color choices sometimes!

-
 -
by Triss on October 04, 2006 07:26 AM
So if the backing of the rug were green, it would be perfect! Wonder if I can find something like that???

And Mark, my kids tend to come up with good colors and oftentimes WILD turns out way cool!

-
 -
by angelblossom on October 04, 2006 07:50 AM
Triss, I went to home depot.com and they have a wide selection of rugs to view but their's are sooo expensive!Maybe you can get an idea of color from there they really have a lot to view!
I saw a few I'd like to have BUT....
any way just an idea [thinker] if you want to have a look see!

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on October 04, 2006 11:37 AM
oooooooooh - good idea, Diane!
Think I'll look through some sites tomorrow and see if I can make any suggestions too.

-
 -
by Triss on October 05, 2006 02:59 AM
I looked around several websites and so far have not seen anything I really cannot live without. I am going to try and head up to Olympia tomorrow if I can get moving early enough and hit Linens and Things and also Bed, Bath and Beyond. See what I can find there. I do know that I would like to stay away from the normal bathroom rugs and find something different.

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on October 05, 2006 03:11 AM
Hi there!

I just did a quick search at BedBath and Beyond and found this one! Of course I love all things Kokopelli, but I think it has the 2 colors you have in there!

bath rug

It's out of stock on the website, but maybe your store has it, if you like it.

-
 -
by Pburgh on October 05, 2006 03:16 AM
Wow, I love that.

My gardens
by Triss on October 05, 2006 03:30 AM
Lynne, I absolutely LOVE that one. Love it, love it, love it!!! I think that in front of the tub as a focal point and then the tan or green to match in from the of the shower and sink.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: