The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

herbal insect repellents

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: herbal challenge| Next thread: Herbal Salve Recipes »
Back to Thread index
by sibyl on May 30, 2004 07:15 AM
thought id share these.[ never tried these just found it in my herb book ]

INSECT REPELLENT FOR PEOPLE SKIN.
1 teaspoon each of; essential oils of pennyroyal, citronella, eucalypt, rosemary, and tansy.
1 cup vegetable oil.
shake ingredients together and store away from light. to repel outdoor insect pests, rub small amount on hands, then apply to exposed skin. avoid face to prevent contact with youe eyes. if rash developes, discontinue use.

INSECT REPELLENT FOR PETS {HERBAL DIP}
2 cups packed fresh peppermint, pennyroyal, or rosemary.
1 quart boiling water.
4 quarts warm water.
prepare an infusion by pouring the boiling water over the herbs, and allow it to steep for 30 minutes. strain the liquid and dilute with the warm water. saturate the animals coat thoroughly with solution, allow it to air dry. use at first sign of flea activity.

-
 -
by gardenmom32210 on May 30, 2004 04:46 PM
For the pet dip,would it be possible to use oils instead of fresh herbs and if so,what would the conversion rate be?

Karen [grin]
by Phil and Laura on May 31, 2004 02:01 AM
It may be the mixture of all the herbs that works, I know one time we went mushroom hunting and didn't have any type of repellant, so we rubbed pieces of pennyroyal plant on our skin...it didn't work! [Big Grin]
by sibyl on May 31, 2004 06:39 AM
Karen
says 2 cups [ 3oz--90g ] packed fresh herbs.
hope this may help.

-
 -
by thorns on June 06, 2004 04:48 PM
new member, just joined today. my primary interest is herbs. fyi; just because you read something in a herb book doesn't necessarily make it so. That's what the disclaimers in the front of the book are for. The author takes no responsibility for what he or she writes. Be careful. Essential oils are super consentrated and some like pennyroyal oil, can even be dangerous in some instances and should never be used by pregnant women. And I think the proportions are way to high. Maybe a few drops of each at the most, not teaspoons.
Hope this helps--thorns
by sibyl on June 08, 2004 08:54 AM
Herbal Remedy Precautions
Use all herbal remrdies cautiously & follow these guidelines;
  • ALWAYS consult a physician before taking herbs.
  • Always consult a physician if you have painful or chronic symptoms.
  • Dont mix herbal medicines with medical prescriptions.
  • Always identify plants accurately & be aware of their properties & dangers.
  • Avoid large doses of any herb.
  • Grow your own herbal medications for the best purity & quality, label & store them, and refresh the supply each season.
  • Make shure you follow the instructions for harvesting & storing herbs properly.
  • STOP using ANY herbal medicine if you notice any side effects, such as headaches, dizziness, or an upset stomach.
  • Avoid using herbal medicines if you are pregnant, or nursing, unless you have the consent & supervision of an obstetrician.
  • DO NOT give herbal medicines to children less than 2 years old without the consent of your pediatrician.
[thumb] [thumb] [thumb]

-
 -
by sibyl on June 08, 2004 09:22 AM
Thorns
ya may want to go to new members & sighn in so we can all give ya a welcome & say hi [thumb]
[flower] WELCOME [flower]

-
 -
by apples on June 23, 2004 07:40 AM
I don't know if any one else has them around but (stag horn)sumacs the leaves repel most flesh eating bugs. Sometimes I foolishly go into the golf course in the morning and I go to far so I might as well go through the paths in the bush and I always get atacked. Best way I've found is to crush the leaves up in my hand role them together untill the oil all comes out and my hands kind of green [grin] then rub it on [dunno] I only do it once and awhile, like once a month at most so it's just a tip incase your stuck in the bush with whords of bugs and those trees are around. I also find that it doesn't work right away but after some investigation they seem to leave you alone. [Wink] Under a forest of them you can find refuge from bugs also but a sole tree and you'll be eaten alive!

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by weezie13 on June 23, 2004 02:35 PM
Apples,
Go to this site and read the last paragraph part that says "CAUTION"
staghorn sumac

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: herbal challenge| Next thread: Herbal Salve Recipes »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: