The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Roses look sick

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Roses in containers?| Next thread: Roses online? »
Back to Thread index
by EvelynsFlowerbaby on June 02, 2006 04:22 PM
I planted 3 new roses this year one of them was in a pot with flowers on it. I repotted it and it put on a few more and then it went down hill. I clipped all the dead parts off and it started looking better and put on new foliage it has started declining again. I also planted 2 tea roses (bareroot) they were doing good even put on 1 flower each now they have started declining also.
The leaves and tips of the stems turned yellow then brown, All 3 of the roses did this at the same time. What could possibly be wrong with my roses?

Rachel Roberts
www.myhorseteddybear.com
www.petticoatpets.com
by Sir Ts Princess on June 03, 2006 02:08 AM
Hmm, could be a number of things. First, it could be "wet feet" (over watering or poor drainage in the soil). If water collects around their roots, it will eventually kill the plant. It could possibly be too much nitrogen. I mean, yes this stuff does help with new growth, but roses aren't really acid lovers, and too much will burn the roots of ANY plant. How about their sunlight? Are they in sun, shade, or partial? Roses, once they have roots need sun, as most are sun lovers and require several hours a day of sunlight. Perhaps they have been over fed. Or, last but not least, they could be in shock. There's a lot of things that can go wrong with roses.

-
by JV on June 05, 2006 04:15 AM
Rachel you didn't say what you did to the soil when you planted these Roses. You said you repotted them. did you put them in another pot or plant them in the ground? What did you do to the soil if anything. Did you create a pot effect I guess you soil there maybe heavy clay like we have. All of this will effect your plants. Also this heat can also cause leaves to turn. Some of mine have I keep the dead or turning leaves pulled off and put in garbage do not drop on the ground. Also when you water them water only around the bottom and don't over water. Over watering and under watering kills more plants the anything.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by EvelynsFlowerbaby on June 10, 2006 09:15 AM
I repotted the mini pot rose I put it in a cedar whisky barrel, I used miracle grow with plant food. The other two I planted in the ground I did not put any think in the soil. They seem to be doing better, The tea roses have both put on new growth one of them still has half of a brown stem but he seems to be doing better. The pot rose still doesn't look good though. The heat is really taking its toll on some of the plants. But I'm keeping a close eye on everything.

Rachel Roberts
www.myhorseteddybear.com
www.petticoatpets.com

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Roses in containers?| Next thread: Roses online? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: