The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mirliton [Chayote, Vegetable Pears]

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: miracle grow vs. store brand| Next thread: misc cacti »
Back to Thread index
by Ann1 on December 24, 2004 09:57 AM
Here is the recipe I used for stuffed mirlitons. It's similar to the ones on the sites I posted earlier [google Chayote] but it's based on the one from River Road Recipes, the BEST recipe book on Louisiana cooking--creole and cajun.

I purchased my copy in 1965 after it had been in 8 printings of about 80,000 total. It was the second cookbook I purchased for myself, and one I give to non-native friends who are intrigued with the cuisine if they don't already have it. There are now over 1.7 million copies in print and two "sequels"--the third has standard recipes but makes them healthier. Unfortunately, I don't use book three very much when I do cook. [Volume 1 cost 3.95 when I bought it--now 17.95.]

Here is Stuffed Mirlitons adapted from River Road Recipes published by the Junior League of Baton Rouge.

• 4 mirlitons {chayote} Can use eggplant instead Be sure to save the shell part
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 large garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 c chopped celery [I sometimes skip this]
  • 3 tbs olive oil
  • 1 lb cleaned shrimp [can be boiled using Zatarain's Crab Boil according to instructions--do not overcook but I just add them raw to the skillet mixture .]
  • 6 oz grated sharp cheese
  • 1/4 c Italian bread crumbs
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Optional--1 or 2 drops of tabasco

Parboil mirlitons until almost tender. Cut in half and scoop out meat. Do not damage the shell, but you can fake it if you cut through. Set aside and saute onion and garlic in a heavy skillet until transparent. Add celery and cook until tender.

Mash mirlitons, mix with shrimp, cheese and mixture in skillet. Fill shells, cover with additional cheese, and bread crumbs and bake in moderate over 350 degrees until crumbs are browned.

It's been a long time since I've made this, but it seems like we put bread crumbs in with the mashed mirlitons. My mother always added stale french bread soaked in water to the mixture, but I'll have to confer with my sister about this.
Nothing is absolutely essential except mirliton/chayote [or eggplant or other squash] and the shrimp.

It's on our menu as soon as we find chayote--so if mine differs, or fails using this again, I'll let you know. [lala]

Ann
by Cricket on December 24, 2004 10:57 AM
Mmmmm...sounds yummy! [thumb]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: miracle grow vs. store brand| Next thread: misc cacti »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: