The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Newbie wants an indoor flower box, possible? Please help...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by FlowerNewbie on February 02, 2006 03:37 AM
Hello, up to now I have had a pretty black thumb due to not being around home and not really paying attention. I am now a stay at home mom and would like to give plants / flowers another shot. I live on the 3rd floor of a three family home. I have a ton of windows! I thought of the idea of putting window boxes on the inside of my windows. I'm not in the best area so putting them outside would be kindof a waist.

What I'd like to accomplish is some beautiful flowers / plants that will look decent all year (blooming or not). I have about 5-8 windows that I'd like to do. I'm not exactly wealthy either. My home decor is sortof a blue/yellow/white spring toile french country type look. I'd like to have some flowers that go well with the decor. I also don't want to bite off more than I can chew with my first big planting project and wasting all kinds of money on dead plants. lol. Any ideas? Where to start? Layout ideas? Nicely priced boxes? Oh, I live in Boston, MA area - not really sure how to figure out zone. I found this flower that I absolutely love called "Aquilegia, Blue/White" Anybody know about this flower? Am I in over my head, or on to something?

-
 -
Kitten in Life  - , Tiger in Love  -
by jonni13 on February 02, 2006 03:56 AM
I've never brought in aquilegias so I don't know how they would do in window boxes indoors. They do alright in containers outdoors. But they do have a dormant period where there is nothing to see but a crown.
For a beginner and given your decor, I'd try some pansies. Any colors that you like, either bold or pastels. They would be easy to start with and relatively cheap until you see how you would like to go.
What ever you do, have fun with it.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
Getting old is the pits. But it sure beats the alternative. My Blog
by mrsmessy on February 10, 2006 09:50 AM
Don't know about inside window boxes - you might want to try African Violets on a shelf in front of the window just to see if you like it. I remember a friends triple decker with a back porch that he hung window boxes on (facing in) and filled with red, white and blue impatience. It was lovely and lasted from mid-spring through fall. In the summer he would put tall taper style candles in the boxes for dining by candlelight in the evenings.

-
Bev

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: