The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help from the pros?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by stormcloud on May 10, 2006 05:17 AM
i have been trying to grow grass in a 100% shaded area a 4x10 space next to my garadge wall. my house faces north to south and the area is shaded east to west. i have tried the shade grass stuff but got only sparce hairs. so i am now trying this winter grass seed? any pros around here that can help out a jinx?
thanx
lost in the clouds

when life deals you crap,just flush
by SpringFever on May 10, 2006 05:31 AM
You can always turn it into a shade flower garden Stormcloud.. hydrangea, hosta , ferns , there are a bunch of flowers that grow well in the shade..

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Budman on May 10, 2006 05:47 AM
I agree with SpringFeaver as you have a perfect size space for a shade garden. If you are certain that grass is what you want, I have grown Creeping Red Fescue in the shade under a very large wild Cherry tree in my yard and it looks fantastic!!! It is actually the best looking part of my yard at this time. I am not sure where Victoria is, so not sure if it will work in your area. I am in Zone 7a.
by RugbyHukr on May 10, 2006 05:51 AM
have you amended the soil & addded organic matter before seeding?

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by stormcloud on May 10, 2006 07:02 AM
thanx my wife thinks the flowers is a great idea, but what is a good thing to plant when there is a bunch of curious childeren around, running in and out picking and pulling? shawna suggested trilliums? is that good in a 100% shade

when life deals you crap,just flush
by SpringFever on May 10, 2006 08:31 AM
If you go check through the shade garden area you will get an over load of Ideas!!
what ages are the kids?

-
 -
by SpringFever on May 10, 2006 09:59 AM
some shade info on toxics .. and the names of several good selections edible flowers
so far this is what I found .. what Zone are you in?

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: