The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

good house plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: good herb site?| Next thread: Good house plants for little light »
Back to Thread index
by Sorathien on September 24, 2005 09:41 AM
well, i've always had plants, my mom has always had tons of plants. when i moved, i got cut down to a couple african violets, a cactus, and an aloe vera.

i do not have any sunlight. both my windows are east-facing and are blocked by another window. however, i DO have a grow light. what are some good house plants that grow fast, get LARGE (need something to fill up an empty corner of my living room) and are hearty, don't need a lot of light.
by Jiffymouse on September 24, 2005 10:50 AM
with a grow light or flourescents, i'd get a draceana marginata, schefflera, or large peace lily (spatholilium?). all of those grow well, and large with grow lights/flourescent lights.
by Sorathien on September 24, 2005 01:48 PM
ack, i meant to say my windows are blocked by another building next door.
by Jiffymouse on September 24, 2005 11:52 PM
no matter, i've had all of the above get well over 3 ft in diameter when i've had them indoors under flourescents (windowless offices ugh)
by tkhooper on September 27, 2005 10:40 PM
Some coleus grow really fast and don't require much light. My other fast grower is a purple passion plant but I have an east facing window. I don't know how it would do with florescent light. It would be a nice option because it hangs down rather than growing up.

Good luck with your dark corner. Oh what about that cast iron plant. It's suppose to handle dark corners well. I don't know how fast they grow though.
by cinta on September 28, 2005 06:53 AM
Sansevieria aka Mother-in-Laws tounge. I have seen big ones in the grocery store for 10.00. Invest in a beautiful pot and you would have immediate big decor plant.

That is what I am using in my dark corner in the dining room with no extra light. It flowered last winter the fragrance was wonderful.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by Will Creed on September 29, 2005 09:33 AM
What kind of grow light do you have? How large is the space that you want to fill?

The best low light plants are ZZ plant, Pothos, Dracaena 'Lisa,' Dracaena 'Janet Craig,' Corn plant, and Chinese evergreen. Most of these come in a range of sizes.
by Sorathien on September 29, 2005 10:33 AM
i changed my mind. i just got this bookshelf and i put all my plants on the top shelf with the grow light over it. it's just a normal sized 60-wat growlight bulb in an industrial fixture, just a 10" metal dome to direct the light.

i decided to put my cockatiel cage in one corner, and a side table in the other.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: good herb site?| Next thread: Good house plants for little light »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: