The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Good house plants for little light

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: good house plant| Next thread: GOOD Landscaping Software »
Back to Thread index
by RachelTheBlackThumb on November 17, 2005 05:02 AM
Hi I've just started having lots of plants but am not having a lot of luck. I had a aloe vera plant but its leaves got all soggy and then got all uprooted. At the same I had a bonzi tree which turned yellow and lost its leaves despite my different attempts to first over then under water it . I've had various other plants that have all died as well. I think it may be my lake of sunlight. My windows are all facing north so I dont get any direct sun. Temperature changes have been brutal as well. I'm looking for new plants that are relatively indestructable and don't need a lot of light. I would like both some flowering and non flowering plants. I would really appreciate some suggestions!!
Thanks!!
by Dixie Angel on November 17, 2005 06:25 AM
I think that Sanservia and the Cast Iron Plant might be what you need.

BTW...Welcome to The Garden Helper. Someone else will be along shortly, I am sure, to add to the list...

Dianna

-
 -
by mhuff on November 17, 2005 08:09 AM
Hello!
The ZZ plant (Zamioculcas zamiifolia) is another good choice. They thrive in little light, and don't require much water either.

Melinda
by RachelTheBlackThumb on November 17, 2005 08:58 AM
haha I was just looking at a website to try and see what those looked like and the website had a list of tough house plants and those were like the top three. Any other suggestions? Maybe a flowering plant?
by Will Creed on November 17, 2005 09:30 AM
Hey Rachel with a Soon-To-Be Green Thumb!

There are lots of plants, including flowering plants that do just fine if they are kept right in front of a north window.

There are a few other things that you should be mindful of if you want to have success.

Avoid repotting your new plants. This is the single most common cause of plant failure with this who are inexperienced with plants. Plants do best with crowded roots.

Water your plants thoroughly from the top until a little water trickles through the drainage holes. Then don't water again until the surface of the soil dries out. This latter depends on the particular plants species.

If your tap water is hard, use filtered or distilled.

Skip the fertilizer; it rarely helps.

Avoid temperature extremes - below 55 degrees and above 85 degrees.

Think positively and your thumb will soon be green!
by RachelTheBlackThumb on November 17, 2005 09:37 AM
No thats excellent advice thank you. Any good plant suggestions? I'd really like some flowering ones as well..any you can think of that would be ok with little light and that have a long flowering period?
by Will Creed on November 17, 2005 10:03 AM
Peace lily, Africa violet, Bromeliad, Phalaenopsis orchid, Cyclamen, Holiday cactus.
by tkhooper on November 18, 2005 02:09 AM
Cyclamens hate me whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. What about the paperwhites? Just asking I don't know that much myself.

-
 -
by Will Creed on November 18, 2005 03:43 AM
Tammy,

Most paperwhites are hybrids that are forced into bloom and rarely bloom effectively again. They are one-shot flowers that are usually discarded when finished flowering.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: good house plant| Next thread: GOOD Landscaping Software »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: