The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Spider Plant Is Blooming!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: My sick Rosemary Bush| Next thread: My Stick Circle »
Back to Thread index
by Fairy Skyla on August 16, 2005 10:19 AM
My spider plant is blooming! I can't believe it. I refused to repot her, in fact I neglected her quite a bit and left her go almost bone dry because it's been really hot and humid here feels like 105 degrees, she is an indoor plant and I did not want to take the chance of overwatering her. Last Thursday, I noticed she started sending out shoots and that made me smile because that means more babies! Today I noticed on the shoots she starting to send out, it has what looks like tiny flowers..I just had to take a picture..this is the first time this spider plant has bloomed.
If you click on the thumbnail you can see the larger picture of it. Thanks for looking!!
 -
by Celena0056 on August 17, 2005 12:03 AM
That's so exctiting, I love it when my plants start blooming!
Good luck!
~Celena
by njoynit on August 17, 2005 01:54 AM
Thats neat.I grow that one too and it blooms less.My solid green one blooms the most.I grow them in hanging baskets.They are pretty drought tolerant.Their roots store water.I have a few growing in ground(I can do that down here)I have a cream green striped one I been waiting to pop out babies.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by mich168 on August 18, 2005 08:35 AM
Fairy
Congrads on the oncomming babies from your Spider plant! These plants are hard to kill, but they don't like drying out very well. You can root the babies when they get bigger.

Some day I will have to get a photo posted of my monsterous Spider plant. It's been blooming and sending out babies like crazy lately.

-
 -
by Will Creed on August 18, 2005 09:08 AM
Fairy,

Great job! Keeping your spider potbound was the key to getting it to produce the flower/baby spikes.

Where in Brooklyn are you?

Will from Manhattan
by BigJimSlade on August 18, 2005 11:10 AM
I love the spider plants. It would be a perfect starter plant for a kid I think.
by Spider Lady on August 26, 2005 03:35 AM
Mine has flowers also! I'd never seen that before, so it was a big surprise. I was waiting to see the "baby stem" & there on the stem were these tiny purpley-pink flowers--so sweet! On the end is mama's first child. I just love it! I just got the plant the beginning of the summer so it is still in a 10" hanging pot. I mist it every morning but only water when it is dry.
Enjoy your plant!! [flower]
by Spider Lady on August 26, 2005 03:36 AM
Hi Big Jim..I agree. I think kids would love to watch the babies form.
by Spider Lady on August 26, 2005 03:38 AM
Hi Mitch...I've seen where people hang a pot next to the Spider Plant & root the baby right from the mother plant--kind of like planes refueling or something like that.
by Jiffymouse on August 26, 2005 04:59 AM
it is an awesome site, isn't it!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My sick Rosemary Bush| Next thread: My Stick Circle »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: