The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mold in my plants...HELP

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Mold??? Need Help Please| Next thread: Mold in Peace Lily soil »
Back to Thread index
by Rosepetal on November 08, 2004 09:18 PM
Hi All,
Some of my plants have mold on the top. [scaredy] No matter how I clean it up it's still there later. I don't water my plants on top usually from the dish under the pot. Will the mold hurt my plants if I don't get it out? What can I do to get rid of it?

Thanks Rosepetal [Smile]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by gardenmom32210 on November 08, 2004 09:29 PM
Your best bet would probably be to dispose of all the potting soil in the affected plants. Rinse the roots well(wash the pot too) and repot with new potting soil.

Anybody else have any ideas?

G-Mom [grin]
by Jiffymouse on November 08, 2004 10:51 PM
i know you said that you were watering from the bottom, and that may be your problem. mold will only grow where it has a steady, constant supply of water. you really need to let your plants dry a little more between waterings. that is the only sure way to elimanate the mold.
by Will Creed on November 10, 2004 10:43 PM
Rosepetal,

The white stuff you see on the surface of the soil may not be mold at all. When you water from the bottom, the water wicks up and deposits minerals in the soil on the surface creating a white, slightly crusty appearance. Mold is softer and sometimes thread-like in appearance.

I suggest that you learn to water from the top. It is generally better for the plant.
by Rosepetal on November 11, 2004 12:01 AM
HI [Smile]
Thanks millions for your info'. I'm going to try watering from the top with those plants that I have a problem with. If its still not good I'll take the other advice about cleaning out the complete pot, soil and all. Sure appreciate your knowledge. You've been a help more then once.
Rosepetal [thumb]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Mold??? Need Help Please| Next thread: Mold in Peace Lily soil »
Back to Thread index