The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ants in my plants...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Ants in my containers| Next thread: Ants in my zuc flowers - HELP »
Back to Thread index
by MinnesotaGirlie on June 07, 2006 03:28 AM
Hello everyone, hoping you could give me some advice on small "sweet" ants in tomato plant pots.

We currently have 9 plants in 5-gallon buckets and the ants are all over the soil, making homes in the pots!! Is it possible they could damage the roots or leaves at all?? If so, what can I do about it?? They aren't crawling all over the leaves too bad, just in the soil, but there are MANY of them. After battling BER for months last year, I'm really hoping to get a lot of tomatoes this year. The plants are doing extremely well, as long as the ants don't hurt them everything will be fantastic!

Thanks in advance for your expertise on this subject [Wink]

~Angela~
by Longy on June 07, 2006 07:09 AM
If you soak the pots in a tub of water for 10 minutes or so, the ants will move on. Repeat once a week instead of normal watering if you like. They won't directly damage the plants but the fact they're there suggests it's a dry spot for them.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ants in my containers| Next thread: Ants in my zuc flowers - HELP »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: