The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Aspargus Fern Yellowing

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: asparagus fern seedlings| Next thread: Aster Care »
Back to Thread index
by T.J. D on November 07, 2004 10:59 PM
Hello all...

Early this summer I bought I believe 3 very small aspargus ferns and put them together in a larger pot

2 of the plants did great and sprouted a lot and grew...one of the plants never did much and is now turning yellow...

I haven't fertilized this plant and I know I should have...Now that it is fall should I still fertlize? The plant shot off some new growth about a week ago...

Normally I let this plant dry out before watering...about 1/2" down. Lately it seems to of been drying out a lot faster...I'm not sure why.

I moved the plant last night as I am forcing an armyallis bulb to grow in a vase with water.

The plant is recieveing the same type of light as it did in the other window...Southern exposure.

Considering that the plant is now sitting in a sunroom it may obtain more light...which I hope to happen with winter coming.

Any advice on yellowing? Also how often should these plants be watered? Anyone know?

Thanks in advance for any help!
by Jiffymouse on November 08, 2004 02:14 AM
well, i don't know alot about ferns, but i do know that you shouldn't fertilize plants when they start to enter their dormant season, usually the fall.
by Cricket on November 08, 2004 02:25 AM
Hi T.J. D

Welcome to the forum! I've only been here a few months myself, but the advice I've received has been invaluable and the people here are wonderful.

I have an asparagus fern too (I think the name is a misnomer - they aren't true ferns) and it is happiest when in bright light but not direct sunlight and high humidity. I water mine frequently as it enjoys moist soil. During the winter, it often "sheds" leaves, probably because the humidity is too low - I find that misting it helps. When the leaves yellow, I cut them off and once in awhile I'll take the plant outside and give it a good shake to so it will drop its dead leaves (easier than vacuuming them up!). In the summer, the asparagus fern goes outside in a bright but shaded location. With a little attention, it is a fast growing, resilient plant.

Perhaps someone else with more experience can advise you further on the care of asparagus ferns but that's my 2 cents worth - good luck!
by Will Creed on November 09, 2004 05:03 AM
TJ,

Asparagus ferns will develop yellow needles for many different reasons, including a change in light, overwatering, underwatering, and spider mites.

Lack of fertilizer and low humidity are rarely a problem.

Your Asparagus fern may be drying out more frequently because it is now getting more light or because the roots are expanding relative to the soil so there is less soil to retain moisture. Healthy Asparagus ferns develop large tuberous roots and can become very potbound and need more frequent watering. They often put out more growth and tiny flowers when they are quite potbound.

Asparagus ferns are tropical in origin and do not have a dormant period. In good conditions, you can get lots of vigorous growth at any time of the year.

Your watering technique is on the mark.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: asparagus fern seedlings| Next thread: Aster Care »
Back to Thread index