The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help Please! Overwatered Gloxinia

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Gypsyskates on November 04, 2004 11:14 PM
Would someome tell me what I can do to save a Gloxinia that was acidently overwatered? [Eek!] I currently have it under a flourescent light and have poured all excess water off of it. It's wilting quickly.

Gypsy
{someone else also has this name here so I had to lengthen it for posting purposes)
by Will Creed on November 05, 2004 03:09 AM
Gypsy,

What do you mean by "accidently overwatered?" Was it overwatered just once? Or was it allowed to sit in a saturated condition for an extended period of time?
by weezie13 on November 05, 2004 03:29 AM
Hey Will,
Here's the link to the original post in The
Welcome Section,
Hello I'm also new here from Southeastern PA

It says:
quote:
Could someone please tell me what to do? I've poured off the excess water and have it under a flourescent light but it's wilting fast.

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Gypsyskates on November 05, 2004 03:02 PM
No it was saturated. Could I repot it or would that kill it off completely in the state that it's in now?

Gypsy
by Will Creed on November 06, 2004 05:14 AM
Gypsy,

The degree of damage depends on how long the soil was waterlogged. Replacing the soil will not help and may actually do more damage. All you can do is provide lots of warmth and light to hasten the drying out of the soil.

The wilting is not a good sign when the soil is plenty moist. That suggests that the leaves are not getting water because the roots are no longer functioning, i.e, they have rotted.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: