The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help Please! weeping pussywillow tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Help Please! Overwatered Gloxinia| Next thread: HELP Ranuculus »
Back to Thread index
by KSheets on March 23, 2006 03:10 AM
I purchased a WEEPING PUSSYWILLOW (it is a little over 24in tall) today believe it or not at my local Food Lion. I had never seen one before! I love it! The last couple of hours I have spent researching topics on its care as I want to do the right thing. In doing so I could not believe these things were selling for 70 and 80 dollars! Wow! I only paid $16.99. Anyway, while reading several gardening websites one of them said to wait until danger of frost is over then plant in moist soil and in the sun and enjoy it until it DIES!!! Ahhhhhh! Said it would get something called rust and something bad about the leaves! Geez! Is this true? Please can someone help me? I don't want it to die.Thank you so much. ><>
by peppereater on March 23, 2006 02:32 PM
Not sure about the weeping variety, but in general, Pussywilllows are very hardy and troublefree. I see no reason not to plant it now, and water once a week. Here's hoping someone else weighs in on this, and if not, post again under a fresh topic. Folks here are usually good about replying...and we've got some of the world's best gardeners, seriously.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by flwrgrdnmom on April 03, 2006 09:31 AM
I bought one of those from Lowe's for about $20 2 years ago. I planted it, it was doing great, then about 5 months later (it was fall), the thing just died on me. No real reason... just keeled over. I have a regular pussywillow in a very large pot that seems to do great. I've had it for about 3-4 years now. Hopefully I just had a bad experience and yours will live much, much longer.
by melcon6 on April 03, 2006 09:38 AM
I bought one of those at Home Depot 2 years ago and it is still very small, but very alive and well, I think. [Roll Eyes]

When I bought it, it was in full bloom with pink catkins, since planting it , it is very weepy and very sweepy (the branches are longer than the tree is tall) but it does not produce catkins. Last year, none. This year I checked it over religiously and only spotted 2, and they appeared to be white.

I'm hangin in there with the lil baby anyway and fully expect the coming years to be more of the showpiece I want it to be!

I'll try to take a pic of it this week! [thumb]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by melcon6 on April 03, 2006 09:41 AM
Oh yes, about it's care: If the ground is workable I'd say you could put it in soon, first you'll need to harden it off if it's been inside. May not be used to the cold night time temps. And you will have to remove any "suckers" and any branches that grow below the graft knot. The rootstock is probably a different tree than the weeping part.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by KSheets on April 04, 2006 02:44 AM
Thank you so much to everyone that has helped me so far with my Weeping Pussywillow. I am looking forward to planting it and with everyones help on this great site I have high hopes that it will do well.
Thank you again!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help Please! Overwatered Gloxinia| Next thread: HELP Ranuculus »
Back to Thread index