The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

starting seeds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by daizeemae on February 20, 2006 10:58 PM
Hi,

Does anybody have good advice on starting seeds?
What seeds have you had good luck with, bad luck?
Any golden rules to follow that are true and tested?

Thanks in advance!

daizeemae
by Bill on February 20, 2006 11:06 PM
by peppereater on February 20, 2006 11:28 PM
You'll find that many of the gardeners here are VERY excited about starting seeds. If the fact sheet Bill linked to doesn't answer all your questions, you'll find that someone here will have information on whatever seed you want to try.
Welcome to the forum! [thumb]

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by tkhooper on February 21, 2006 12:01 AM
I've had good luck with:

Basil, Chives, Tomatoes, Celosia (Direct sow outdoors in late spring. They don't like to be transplanted and will stop growing), Coleus (sow on top of the soil.), Garlic, Green Onions, Hollyhocks, Impatiens, larkspur, Love Lies Bleeding (sow on top of the soil. Bottom water), Malva, Marigolds (direct sow), Morning Glories (soak & nick hull planting directly into garden), Poppies (direct sow on top of soil.), Portulaca, Snapdragons, coriander, parsley

I've had bad luck with:

Acorn Squash (It takes a lot of compost to come up with good sized squash and it takes a bunch of room and a fairly long growing season.), Babies Breath (Slightly alkaline soil isn't natural to my garden so I have problems with this although I would love to grow some.), Bell Peppers (Many varieties need 80 degrees to germinate, my apartment isn't that warm and I can't afford a warming mat.), Calendula they sprouted and grew but wouldn't bloom I think it may have been to warm down here last year. It was one very hot summer.), Chinese Lantern (These are easy to grow and can even become invasive unless your soil is very acidic like mine is.), Money Plant (Same as the chinese lantern. This year I'm trying both in pots where I can control the pH of the soil.), Chrysanthamums (I had no luck growing them from seed. These are better dividing or buying at the grocery store.), Helleborus (with a germination between 5 and 18 months this one has not worked out well for me. I may try buying some as plants and starting them that way when money permits.), Lettuce (cool season plant. I have no luck with any of these.), Oregano, Sage, Thyme, Rosemary these just don't come up for me. I'm not at all sure why. Hope this helped.

-
 -
by peppereater on February 21, 2006 12:24 AM
t.k., try simpson seedless or another of the small leaf lettuces around your last frost date. I did this as a fall crop last year and was harvesting in 30 days. I'm going to try it in a container this spring to try for an early crop. Sow on the soil surface. Just scatter it evenly, and fairly close.

-
Dave
by tkhooper on February 21, 2006 12:29 AM
Thanks Dave,

I'll give it a shot. I love salads and would really like to get some lettuce going. This year I got spinach hoping that maybe that would work alittle better for me. And I love it in a salad or a quiche.

-
 -
by alankhart on February 21, 2006 01:16 AM
My advice is to read as much about how to sow the particular flower/plant you are starting as possible, and don't just rely on the info on the back of the seed packet. There are several seeds that need to be cold striated to germinate, like certain cultivars of Columbine, etc., and it doesn't always tell you that on the packet. And always use a good light seed starting medium to help prevent damping off of seedlings. A good light source can be crucial as well so your plants don't grow leggy.

-
 -
 -
by peppereater on February 21, 2006 01:41 AM
That is good advice, Alan.
And I'd like to tell daizeemae that there have been many forums here that do go into the specifics of seed starting and also specific seeds. The search function on the forum may lead you to in-depth discussions on these topics.

-
Dave
by dodge on February 21, 2006 08:37 AM
Seed starting......

[Roll Eyes]
First time ,ever, I invested into a heating cable for seed germination.......Right now, everything I planted , except about 5 types of seed, has germinated........
[thumb]
I would recommend this to anyone.. just follow directions, and you will come out a winner.
[flower] [flower] [flower]
dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by peppereater on February 21, 2006 09:07 AM
Dodge...what did you get? And where?

-
Dave
by hisgal2 on February 22, 2006 03:04 AM
i know that Gurney's has them....and they have coupons that if you spend $50 worth you get $25 off.

-
 -

-
by dodge on February 25, 2006 02:20 AM
peppereater,

I bought my heating cable from Henry Field.. I wanted the smallest, And Burpees was larger. It is great.......
I have put it on .. My first try.
I knew nothing

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Greenthumb newbee on February 26, 2006 02:50 AM
TK hopper

I planted some Premieum lettuce last year and got over 4 boxes of lettuce. We planted it just to see if it would grow. All my wife did was just throw the seeds on the ground like when you feed birds and put some dirt over the seeds thats all. Lettuce has very shallow roots and likes to sit on top of the soil. The lettuce was romain, Iceburg, the good stuff. Got the seeds at Menards. I`ve only been gardening for 2 years and I found out that GOOD quality seeds make a very BIG difference at harvest time.

Good luck.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: