The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bamboo

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Bamboo| Next thread: Bamboo »
Back to Thread index
by heatherh on August 05, 2004 05:29 AM
I have lucky bamboo that I've had for several years. It's been repotted (by repotted, I mean put into a new container, no soil, sorry to confuse! Its in rocks and water only, just like it was when I bought it) twice and done very well. It went from just the stalks to having shoots. But, lately, it's looking...sad. It isn't a green as it was and it's kinda droopy. Also, the ends of some of the shoots are turning brown. What's going on? Help!
by AprilFlowers on August 05, 2004 06:33 AM
I may be saying something dumb here but you have your bamboo potted? As in in soil?

I have two sticks that have been sitting in a vase of water for almost a year, started as three but one died [dunno]
by Plant Lover on August 05, 2004 10:24 AM
I also have a lucky bamboo that I have had for many years...sitting in a vase of water and stones. No soil. I read on a website when I first got the bamboo that they can survive in soil, but it's very difficult to successfully grow them that way. Keeping them in water is supposedly the best and easiest way to keep them.
by JediMom on August 05, 2004 03:30 PM
I have a bamboo plant that started out in water. I put it in soil several years ago after one of the shoots died. It is going strong, and I've had to repot it several times.
by Will Creed on August 06, 2004 12:21 AM
It may help to understand that lucky bamboos are nothing more than Dracaena sanderiana cuttings rooting in water. Like any other water-rooted cutting they can be kept in water or they can be transferred to soil.

If they are kept in plain water, they tend to last for about a year or so before they gradually start to deteriorate because they are not getting any nutrients. Adding a tiny amount of fertilizer to the water can sometimes help. Make sure that you use filtered or distilled water if your tap water is on the hard side.

If you transfer the cuttings to a pot, then the potting mix will provide the nutrients that they need. With proper potting, light, and water, the cuttings can grow quite large as a rooted plant.

It is interesting how much confusion there is about lucky bamboo simply because they are sold as cuttings in water rather than as potted plants.
by ladystressout on August 12, 2004 04:53 PM
Will I want the real bamboo? not dracaena! Would like to grow some indoors in pots to start with then plant outside? What are some real bamboo that I can get for that? Many thanks

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bamboo| Next thread: Bamboo »
Back to Thread index