The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hoya Blooming

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Hoya, ID...please!!| Next thread: Hoya Carnosa, The "Rope" Plant »
Back to Thread index
by plantlady19 on July 21, 2004 07:12 PM
Hey! Does anyone know how to stimulate blooming in a hoya? [thinker] I've had mind or a few years and it has only bloomed twice. Once when I first adopted it and then last month. I do love it though, blossoms or no. [Love]

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by plantlady19 on July 28, 2004 06:20 PM
seriously....

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by Will Creed on July 30, 2004 02:25 AM
To bloom, a Hoya should have a lot of bright indirect light all day and a few hours of direct light, as well. In addition, keep it potbound and on the dry side and don't change its location. Disturb it as little as possible. Do NOT use a high nitrogen fertilizer.

After flowers are spent, do not remove the flower stalk because that is where new flowers will emerge the following year. Be careful not to overfertilize, especially during the semi-dormant winter period. Overfeeding causes bud drop.
by plantlady19 on August 05, 2004 08:15 PM
Will. Thanks a bunch! [grin] I love hoya blooms. [Love] Aside from orchids, they are my favorite flower. Thanks again for the advice! [thumb]

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by frayedknottus on August 11, 2004 05:01 AM
I'm feeling somewhat neglectful. I have had a hoya for 21 years now. It started as a small plant and now uses up a corner in my bedroom. I have moved this plant for the first 7 years and watered and repotted.... all because I wasn't familiar with the way to get it to bloom.

Now, I have only moved the thing once in the past 7 years. (Just now) Into a bedroom that gets lots of sunshine, rather than the living room with less sunshine. I have even fertilized it.....

But... it has nevered bloomed.

The snippet I gave to my mom keeps blooming whenever I am about. Her pot is much smaller, and so is her plant. She also has a better set up for light.

Is there any hope? Will it take another 20 years? I'm willing to hang in there as it is a beautiful plant.

Thanks

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hoya, ID...please!!| Next thread: Hoya Carnosa, The "Rope" Plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: