The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

african violet problem

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: African Violet Plant Cart| Next thread: African Violet Question »
Back to Thread index
by MissJamie on April 08, 2005 08:00 AM
hi! I got a wee problem. My african violet lost it's couple of flowers it had and I was wondering if it'll ever bloom again?? thanks!

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by obywan59 on April 08, 2005 08:32 AM
It should. Mine go in and out of bloom all year long. I have mine by east and north windows. I've read that's what they prefer.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by MissJamie on April 09, 2005 02:13 AM
oh ok great thanks!

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
by Lily789 on April 13, 2005 02:24 AM
Give it fertilizer, give it light. Many people don't give them enough light, and they don't flower. I put mine in a dark corner, didn't bloom, and then I diagnosed the problem. Moved them to brighter light, bloomed very well. But that doesn't mean to burn them up [Smile] .

~Lily
by loz on April 13, 2005 02:30 AM
My AV's do very well in my house....I have them semi close to the windows, but also near regular lamps....they bloom beautifully and the lamps don't damage the leaves, at least not on mine. I use bottom watering containers and AV food mixed into my watering can.....They are my favorite houseplants actually, I just bought a new one last night since it was my BD......It's purple around the edges and white inside the edges....really pretty.

They rebloom for me 3-4 times a year....just trim off the flowers when they die..
by MissJamie on April 13, 2005 04:21 AM
hi! thanks so much for the info and happy late bday loz!! your new av sounds like mine...mine had white flowers with purple edging. i'll try putting it near more sun :-) and with the av fertilizer that you put in your water when watering them....is it dirt or is it a powder stuff? do you reccomend a brand? thanks!

-
 -
by loz on April 13, 2005 11:12 PM
Hi and thanks for the birthday wishes.....

I actually use the liquid Miracle Grow African Violet food(I think it's in a purple bottle)......you just add several drops into your watering can....I find it easier than messing around with powders....and it really does seem to help them out!

Do you have a bottom watering pot for it Jamie???? They grow better with one of them...that way their leaves aren't getting wet. They also like to be in a pot that isn't too big....so get a pot for it that isn't much bigger than your actual plant.....

It's a pretty plant with those colors on the blooms isn't it? I just love all of mine. You can grow another AV plant from leaf cuttings, and I have one going now with leaves from all 4 of my violets, so it will be a mix of all the different colors--white, pink, purple, and white tipped with purple....can't wait for it to grow! [thumb]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: African Violet Plant Cart| Next thread: African Violet Question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: